• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Trouble selling car

Started by davezen2, Friday Oct 01, 2004, 04:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davezen2

I'm just looking for some advice...

I've been trying to sell my car since July now without much success.

I've spent over $200 in advertising on the web (cars.com, ponytrader.com etc..) as well as in the Journal/Sentinel.

In all this time I have received a total of 1 phone call asking about the car, and after coming to look at it the guy wanted to buy it but he said that his lender wouldn't give him a loan for a car which I still owe money on. (I still owe Ford Credit around 12 grand)

So I've got two questions:

1. Has anyone had success advertising their cars online?

2. Does anyone know if there is some way around this "No loan if money is still owed on it" deal?

Please feel free to critique my ad on cars.com:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;jsessionid=KCPOLM1UGBKOZLAZGKWZPQY?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=149903270&pageNumber=1&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=YEAR+descending%2CPRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=70&leadExists=true&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_14_%7CD-_179_%7CN-N%7CR-40%7CI-1%7CP-YEAR+descending%2CPRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-53027&aff=onwisconsin

Any advice, pointer, or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a ton,  ~dave

Gregg Lengling

I think someone is giving you the BULL's rush.  Cars are bought and sold every day with loans against them.  Some people probably just don't want to deal with the extra paper work...but it's really nothing and it's more on the seller's end as you usually have to do the closing at your lenders location so they can clear the title.

So PSHAW..if you have a real problem send me a Private Message and I'll set you up with my Auto Broker who can help you facilitate a sale.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Racer47

Having or not having a loan should not make a difference. It is usually the price. But I looked at your ad and I don't think the price is high. How does it compare to kbb.com edmunds.com and nada.com ? The ad looks good. The pictures are nice. Its better than most car ads.

I've owned 7 Mustangs and yours looks good but I'm not in the market to buy another right now. Here are a couple other places to advertise.

autotrader.com   I think its the best used car site

http://www.funfordevents.com/  Register and place an ad for free

http://forums.probetalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121  This is the Wisconsin section of the Probe forum. Its mostly Probes (obviously) but I would register and place an ad anyway. Most of the guys on this site are in SE Wis. You might get a bite.

And if you get really desperate and want to practically give the car away, maybe I'll take it off your hands. :)

davezen2

Thanks for the input guys!

I think I'll try listing it on autotrader.com and see if I get any bites that way. If not, I'll PM you about your auto broker Gregg, and see if he can help me out.

Thanks again guys,   ~dave

-Racer,  yes I am desperate to sell, but I can't go below $11,900 at this time (that's what I owe on it yet).
I think your the first person from Hartford I've seen on here besides myself!  ;)

rmentel

Dude,  If you are "upside down" your never going to sell it .
This means that you owe more than it is blue booked for and you'll never get what you want for it.
Try asking the blue book value, look on kelly blue book .com I think.

davezen2

rmentel,

I'm not "upside down" with it.  KBB private party value is $1000 more than what I'm asking for it.

rmentel

Alllrriiiggghhhtttyyy  ,  just checking.
Best of luck!!

Paul S.

Carspot.com is what I used- I did end up trading the Stang in at a dealership and then got like 3 calls about buying it privately lol

Greg Oman

You may want to consider Carmax down in Kenosha as well.  They will buy a car from you, independent of if you buy one from them.  However, they will work off a wholesale number, not a retail number, so I'd expect that this may not be ideal, but maybe worth a look.

I'd say the ad is good, but you have 16,000 miles on this car!  So, I think you're going after a different kind of buyer maybe, like an enthusiast!!

//www.mustang.org has links to many regional clubs, some of which are here in Wisconsin too!  I'd certainly look into each of these as they may have people looking for what you have.

http://www.mustang.org/regional_clubs.cfm?state=WI

I'm a car guy also, RX-7's are my thing though.  Being president of the Wisconsin club had it's advantages this year, a guy contacted ME with a beautiful (slightly wrecked) convertable RX-7, that I bought 2 days later.  So I think it's all about getting to the right type of buyer (duh!  it's always about that I guess... sorry)

You can see mine at : http://www.rxclubofwi.org/oman.htm

Good luck!

Greg O.
(President, RX Club of Wisconsin)

Paul S.

I'd buy it if I didn't just get a house. I'm hurtin for a V8 stang. Then again, my Cobra will be worth waiting for!

Get rid of the non-hetero seat covers though- makes it look like some little kids Honda.

Why are you selling her?

davezen2

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul S.
Get rid of the non-hetero seat covers though- makes it look like some little kids Honda.

Why are you selling her?

non-hetero?! Those are genuine Hot-Wheels covers! ;)
No they're not in there anymore,  I just wanted some cheap ones to keep the seats clean if I drive it to work (I work in a machine shop) and those were the "coolest" ones Wal-Mart had! :)

I'm only selling 'cos I obviously very rarely drive it, and it wouldn't hurt to have an extra $550 in my pocket every month.

Greg Oman:

That Carmax place sounds interesting...
I had a guy come and look at it last night and he's going to call me tonight to let me know if he can go through with it.  If that doesn't happen, I'll have to look at what Carmax would offer.
Thanks for the tip!

~dave

Paul S.

QuoteOriginally posted by davezen2

I'm only selling 'cos I obviously very rarely drive it, and it wouldn't hurt to have an extra $550 in my pocket every month.

Ditto with my '00 sixer. I had too many mods and she was starting to suck too much premium. So, I traded her in for an '03 Accent and an engagement ring :(

The Law

QuoteSo, I traded her in for an '03 Accent and an engagement ring

Hehe...and that'll cost *way* more than $550 a month - and for a whole lot longer :)

well...hopefully..the rest of yer life.   Even pirates settle down, then, eh!

Paul S.

QuoteOriginally posted by The Law
Hehe...and that'll cost *way* more than $550 a month - and for a whole lot longer :)

well...hopefully..the rest of yer life.   Even pirates settle down, then, eh!

"And its no, nay, never- no nay never, no more, will I play the Wild Rover! No never, no more!"