News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC menu guide wrong for Olympics

Started by summerfun, Thursday Aug 12, 2004, 09:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

summerfun

This next week, NBC is going to broadcast separate HD programming on their HD channel from what is going to be broadcast on their regular analog channel. The upcoming schedule can be found on the NBC website.

http://www.nbcolympics.com

TWC does not have this separate HD broadcast listed on their menu guide. Channel 504 (HD) is a mirror of Channel 4 (analog) on the menu guide.

I called channel 4 and their program director is on vacation. I called TWC and got the run around. I guess nobody cares that the menu guide is incorrect. I think it is a huge deal. How are we to set our new HD DVR's for upcoming Olympics recording of Channel 504 if the menu guide is wrong?

MHz40, can you talk to someone at TWC. They never let me past the front line. They said they will write it up and someone will call back in 72 hours. :bang:

borghe

it isn't TWC, it's WTMJ. Their listing on zap2it isn't correct either. Though if you would like the loop schedule you can find it at here. All times are central.

summerfun

I just called TMJ 4 again and left a message for the assistant of the programming director as she is out for the day.

I realize that TWC does not create the menu, but they most likely have contacts to the engineers at TMJ 4 that send them the menu data and could get this resolved from their end. Ultimately, the TWC customer is going to suffer and they will blame TWC for having an incorrect menu guide.

summerfun

The general sales manager for TMJ 4 just called me. They were not aware of the issue. He said he would get right on it.

We will see?:confused:

4runnergusto

I also made some calls this am, spoke with someone from engineering at TMJ because noone at programming was available. She saw the problem, and knew that it was an issue that had been brought up yesterday. She was getting off the phone with me to speak with the general manager about it, and did seem genuinely ready to do whatever she could.

Hopefully this will get some more eyes opened to the fact that there are HDTV users who are paying attention.

Cheers,
Mark

RS922

I called channel 4 and their program director is on vacation. I called TWC and got the run around. I guess nobody cares that the menu guide is incorrect. I think it is a huge deal. How are we to set our new HD DVR's for upcoming Olympics recording of Channel 504 if the menu guide is wrong?

Summerfun,

Sorry your calls did not get directed to someone who could help.  After reading your message, I contacted our IPG vendor, who advised that there is much confusion on this HD schedule, as NBC hasn't given much in specifics for the schedule.  Nevertheless, our provider has set us up to receive a schedule that will be more specific to ch 504.  This should be up sometime tomorrow.

In case it will help, you do not need to rely on the IPG for recording, or be bound by it.  Try these steps for a manual recording(s):

Tune to ch 504
Press "record" button
Arrow down once and select "Create a manual recording"
Press Select, then use the arrow keys to select channel, date (or day if recurring) then stop and start times.

After the program is recorded, the list will display the name of the program running at the start time, but the entire block will be recorded.  This is great for padding the start/stop times and gives the user  a lot of control.  Just don't try to set overlapping programs on the same channel and it should work.

RS922

The new schedule for ch 504 has been sent to the settops.  Hopefully, this will not cause any issues for those that preset recordings using the "old" titles.  It might pay to check the scheduled recordings and reprogram if needed.