News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Woohoo! BravoHD+

Started by sp44again, Wednesday Jul 28, 2004, 01:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp44again

NBC UNIVERSAL CABLE AND DIRECTV REACH LONG-TERM MULTI-PLATFORM
AGREEMENT

Agreement Includes Rights to Distribute 2004 NBC HD Olympic Coverage and
Bravo HD+

Englewood Cliffs, NJ and El Segundo, CA - July 28, 2004 - NBC Universal Cable
(NBCU) and DIRECTV, Inc., today announced a long-term multi-platform
carriage agreement for the NBC Universal Cable properties, including USA and
SCI FI, digital retransmission consent for the NBC O&O stations rights to
distribute NBC's HD Olympic programming for the upcoming Athens games,
Bravo HD+, as well as rights to carry first-run Universal movie titles and NBC
Universal specials and events on a pay-per-view basis. In addition, contracts
for Bravo, Telemundo and Mun2 were renewed and extended. DIRECTV and
NBCU already have long-term deals in place for carriage of CNBC, MSNBC,
CNBC World and the Olympics. This marks the first all encompassing affiliate
agreement for NBC Universal Cable with one of the top distributors since the
closure of the Vivendi merger.

"DIRECTV has always been a valued partner," said David Zaslav, president,
NBC Universal Cable. "Through this agreement we were able to secure
distribution for our two newest networks, USA and SCI-FI, digital
retransmission for the NBC O&O stations, deliver on DIRECTV's request for
more high-quality HD programming by providing them with NBC's special 2004
HD Olympic coverage and Bravo HD+ and provide them with Universal's first-
run movies and specials to run on pay-per-view. We are committed to
providing our distribution partners with the programming that they need to
drive their businesses."

"Our agreement with NBC Universal Cable is a gold medal win for our
customers who have been asking for more HD content, as well as those who
will continue to enjoy the breadth of quality programming NBCU offers," said
Stephanie Campbell, executive vice president, Programming, DIRECTV,
Inc. "This comprehensive agreement is a measure of the strength of our
relationship with NBCU and will have long-term value for DIRECTV and our
customers. Coupled with our recent announcement that we will air up to 100
HD broadcasts of 2004 NFL SUNDAY TICKET regular season games, DIRECTV
will be the premier HD destination for sports fans this summer and fall."

gparris

Now all Directv has to do is get ABC-TV (Disney) to do the same thing and we're covered, unless you include WB and UPN, but these networks don't seem to be on as much as the major four.

Additionally, I do not think since NBC has an affiliate here (just like CBS has an affiliate here) Directv customers will get HD locals off their dishes like they will from the O & O Fox station here.
But still a great deal, especially for rural customers who cannot get any HD networks...ABC: JOIN IN!:)

smack

I am not sure what you mean by here (kenosha?).  But I think you still are considered part of the Milwaukee market aren't you?

I don't think we will get the network feeds of NBC in waukesha as milwaukee is our NBC affiliate.

smack

gparris

SE Wisconsin DMA is relegated to the counties of Milwaukee, Waukesha, Ozaukee, Washington, Racine, Kenosha and Walworth counties. IF there is more to this, I don't know. I just remember checking the what and why Directv uses to give SD locals to subscribers.
 DMA stands for Designated Market Area.
The only Owned and Operated (O & O) network station I know of is the Fox station, WITI.  
The NBC, CBS and ABC stations here in Milwaukeeland are not O & O like those found in Chicago metro area, of which I am considered NEXT to, but NOT in for DMA. So I cannot get them from satellite at all if I had satellite; but I CAN from cable, here.
When a TV station is not O & O it is an affiiate station. This means they can carry network programmes, but have some leeway on delivery, but you probably will not get a waiver to get their networks in HD from satellite unless you can prove that you cannot get them at all.
SO...it is great that Directv will carry FOX HD (okay here), CBS HD and (soon) NBC HD to those subscribers who cannot get HD from antennas and cable is not a choice, as I understand it.
These subscribers are usually way out from a metro area, like some of my family are, getting only the HDNET and HD movies and the like from packages, but not able to get HD network feeds.
All that Directv has to do now, is work with "the mouse" (Disney) and get the ABC HD thing going and the rural HDTV owner won't be caught without HD delivery, which is a good thing.
;)

kjnorman

Okay so I have just looked at the Directv site that is featuring the temporary Olympic HD channel.

See here

Now, as I read this Milwaukee is not an eligable market as Milwaukee is not a NBC O&O market.  Now I understand the O&O thing for the straight forward NBC channels but the Olympic NH feed?  

I guess its designed that way so as not to draw viewers away from the local NBC Olympic programming in not O&O markets.

Now I would be really upset it I had actually got that HD TiVo with the promise of HD Olympics...

borghe

Dish and Voom have both announced the availability of the HD Olympic coverage in the Milwaukee and Madison areas.. DirecTV will also be offering it in those areas as well. DirecTV's O&O information was very preliminary and the Dish and Voom information is correct (though not final, more cities will possibly be added).

So if you have any of the satellite services you will be getting 24/7 olympic coverage.

Now the real question is a) will WTMJ be carrying this on 4-1 or put up a 4-2 for it and b) will TWC be carrying it?

oflaherty

The NBC HD coverage with Dolby 5.1 will be on 4.1.
It should to be on 24 hours a day. (Pending FCC approval)
--
Sean at TMJ

borghe

excellent news sean. Thank you. It should be higher bandwidth than what DirecTV will be passing I'm assuming.

Does this mean TWC people will get it on 504?

oflaherty

Yes -- The HD feed will be going to Time Warner channel 504 as usual. (Via fiber)
--
Sean at TMJ