News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Hd Mke Wb

Started by PWFD81, Wednesday Aug 04, 2004, 04:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PWFD81

What is the story with MKE and the WB HD?  When is this going to be in HD.  Looking forward to watching Smallville in HD.

Thanks for any input!

Tim

Gregg Lengling

At this time I think they are only waiting for the satellite feed from WB, I think they have all their encoding setup as you can tell by the way they are upconverting 480p to 1080i with sidebars.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

John L

Someone wrote to the folks at WVTV and supposedly they will be offering some of WBs programming in HD.  WVTV is already broadcasting the proper screen resolution for High Definition programming.  They used to be SD like WCGV.

-John L.

StarvingForHDTV

I don't know.

I did notice that the WB will be presenting at the 2004 HDTV forum:

http://www.displaysearch.com/hdtvforum/agenda.html

I feel that's good news for the network.  Maybe they are planning to increase their programming content being broadcast in HD.

Starving

Drummerboy

Any word on when TW will get onboard?
Drummerboy, Computer & Network Engineer
Waukesha

borghe

I was the one who wrote to WVTV.. They are hoping to start passing through WB-HD before the fall season.

As far as TWC, I wouldn't expect anything until after they go HD..

borghe

I posted this in the news thread but until it gets moderated there, enjoy:

THE WB TO PRESENT NEARLY TWO-THIRDS OF ITS FALL SCHEDULE IN HIGH DEFINITION

NETWORK TO UNVEIL ITS 5.1 DOLBY SURROUND SOUND IN NOVEMBER WITH BROADCAST OF "LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING"

BURBANK, CA (August 4, 2004) – The WB Network continues its commitment to the latest in television technology as it will broadcast 9.5 hours, or 63% of its schedule, in high definition this fall, it was announced today by Garth Ancier, the network's Chairman.

The WB, which has had a substantial percentage of its programming in 1080-I HDTV since Fall, 2003, will broadcast dramas EVERWOOD, GILMORE GIRLS, ONE TREE HILL, SMALLVILLE, THE MOUNTAIN and JACK & BOBBY as well as comedies WHAT I LIKE ABOUT YOU, COMMANDO NANNY and REBA. The network will also broadcast its biggest events such as LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING, and its first made-for-TV movie, SAMANTHA: AN AMERICAN GIRL in high definition. The WB's Sunday EasyView broadcasts of ONE TREE HILL and THE MOUNTAIN will also be broadcast in HDTV. Additionally, beginning with the November broadcast of LORD OF THE RINGS, The WB will air its shows with 5.1 surround sound.

"Our viewers are early adopters of new technology so The WB wants to offer as much programming in high definition as possible," Mr. Ancier said. "It is important for us to give our audience the best experience possible, and given the cinematic scope and production values of our programs viewers will truly benefit from the amazing depth and clarity high-definition provides."

The WB's HDTV offerings:

Monday – EVERWOOD

Tuesday – GILMORE GIRLS; ONE TREE HILL

Wednesday – SMALLVILLE, THE MOUNTAIN

Friday – WHAT I LIKE ABOUT YOU, COMMANDO NANNY, REBA

Sunday – ONE TREE HILL (EasyView), ONE TREE HILL (EasyView), JACK & BOBBY

gparris

Thanks for the update as it is really appreciated.:)

Now for what we all would like to be thankful for in the near future with the WB network here in Milwaukeeland:

1- That Sinclair will broadcast the WB in HD (and in DD 5.1)

2- That TWC will offer its own network (Warner Bros) on its system for those of us with cable.

3- That maybe channel 24 (UPN) will get HD for Star Trek Enterprise

(and also have it available in cable.)

4-That borghe's HD Tivo gets the mapping right without the
CBS problem once the HD starts...just thinking about you, borghe!:wave:

Joseph S

QuoteSinclair announces new HDTV receiver that can receive HD signals from other broadcasters. Confirmed by the same "Independent" researcher that brought you the last Sinclair newstory about a non Sinclair product. Expected release in 6 months and available at all local retail outlets.
Source: Sinclair Bogus News

:D

That's all you ever get from Sinclair. A whole bunch of press releases for other's products. It's been about 8 months since the HDTV rollout schedule was promised from one of those "Evangelists." No schedule, but tons and tons of press trying to make ATSC look like crap while at the same time ignoring their entire lack of HDTV and DTV committment.

borghe

you know, I hate to say it, but the CBS mapping thing just isn't an issue.. I mean IT IS, but it isn't.. at this point my wife and I just have recurring manual recordings set for those time slots.. we don't miss any shows.. unless they switch schedules.. not the perfect answer but I'm certainly not going to go without watching CBS until Tivo decides to fix it...

borghe

just figured I would let everyone know.. I just got a response back from WVTV and they say that the equipment on order includes Dolby 5.1 equipment. Looks like if they get it in by this fall they will be ready to pass through WB's 5.1 in November..

tazman

Quote3- That maybe channel 24 (UPN) will get HD for Star Trek Enterprise

DITTO....

Too bad Enterprise isn't syndicated on WB,  we could sweep 24 under the rugg.:D  for what ever else they had to offer.:)

gparris

Too bad that the UPN HD, as little as there is, doesn't just migrate to the WB station since these are both owned by the same company broadcasting in Milwaukee to save on HD equipment...just a thought here.
:rolleyes:

I can hardly wait for the TWC channel 518 to appear for HD if and when that happens.:cool:

John L

QuoteOriginally posted by borghe
just figured I would let everyone know.. I just got a response back from WVTV and they say that the equipment on order includes Dolby 5.1 equipment. Looks like if they get it in by this fall they will be ready to pass through WB's 5.1 in November..

Borghe,

Thank You for the updates.  It appears that Sinclair stations are finally willing to correspond with the viewers, at least in Milwaukee.

I would think TV stations would realize the importance of communicating with their viewers, and willing to help in anyway to satisfy our concerns.  Since most of us here own a DTV receiver and capable of receiving their DTV signals its obvious the TV stations can do a lot with their digital broadcast transmissions as oppose to what analog can do.  WVTV/WCGV had to meet the FCC demand to offer DTV signals or else go completely dark at the end of 2006.  So it was a very must for all TV stations to install DTV transmitters for the sake of continuing to serve the community for many years to come.

Eventually, when WVTV offers HD and 5.1 Dolby the next step will eventually be for them to change the DTV from channel 61 to Channel 18 which will eventually happen.  Because the ch. 61 that they are on now will be auctioned off by the FCC in a couple years.  Thus they can and probably move it to ch. 18 since they have to suspend their ch. 18 analog transmitter by 2006.

Hope the communications to WVTV/WCGV continues.

-John L.