• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Where to get good cheap speakers

Started by Paul S., Wednesday Aug 04, 2004, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul S.

Ok, I know, stupid question. In the next few months (maybe more), I'm going to look at speakers to go with the Denon 3805. All I have now are these Sony HTIB speakers (you remember, Matt!) nad will obviously hjave to upgrade them. Thing is, how low in price do I go before I'm right back to the Sonys?

The Denon supports up to 10 speakers (including sub).:eek:

gparris

The Denon has a 120W per channel output so remember that when you look up ratings for selection.
Here are my recommendations for you to ponder:

1) Tower speakers are great depending on preference, although with today's speaker technology it may not matter as bigger is no longer better (in speakers).

2) I use Polk surrounds and find that at least keeping the center channel and front speakers all the same manufacturer works best as these seem to compliment another a lot better.

3) Side and rear surrounds should be the same, type and manufacturer, as the front ones, though if you mix and match make sure the back surrounds are all the same of whatever you select. You could use the smaller cheaper surrounds in the back, say, get two pairs of the same thing.

4) Subwoofer is a subjective thing and depends on what you listen to and where you put it. You don't have to match it to the 7 speakers and probably can wait if you have one already.

5) Most important: GO to the store where you think you might buy them and listen to them with your own music and/or DVD if they have a home theater setup-you may decide best there.
;)

Hope this helps...the 2nd zone and the second set of front speakers are not always needed with 7.1 already.
Just remember it will rock with the 7.1 all by itself.
Some folks use the extra set for the garden or patio to keep the sound inside and out the same for entertaining.

Just work on the 7 good ones if replacing anything, Ok?:wave:

davezen2

I've heard that a member on this board, Paul S,  has a buddy that can hook him up with audio gear pretty cheap!  I'd talk to him first.   ;)

Paul S.

QuoteOriginally posted by davezen2
I've heard that a member on this board, Paul S,  has a buddy that can hook him up with audio gear pretty cheap!  I'd talk to him first.   ;)

LOL shut up!:D  Tis, true, but I really think the best they have is Klipsch (sp)- and I don't mean that in a bad way.

Paul S.

QuoteOriginally posted by gparris

Thanks for the great advice! The only prob I'll have with bringing in a CD is that most my stuff is punk and not very well recorded. But, maybe some of my Irish tunes might hafta do.

I can't wait to go speaker shopping!

brewtownska

Just combine the Punk and the Irish by bringing in Flogging Molly.
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Paul S.

QuoteOriginally posted by brewtownska
Just combine the Punk and the Irish by bringing in Flogging Molly.

I love those bastards!