News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Directv HDTV tivo HR 10-250 off-air antennae input question

Started by sommers53051, Wednesday Jul 28, 2004, 10:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sommers53051

Greetings,

I am trying to maximize my amount of hdtv (mainly football-Packers of course).  I have directv and am a subscriber to the nfl package, which is the main reason i remain loyal to satellite.  I just bought the new Directv TIVO HDTV HR 10-250 with dual tuner ins and an off air antennae in.   I live about 15 miles (Menomonee Falls) from the fox tower, so I thought my off air antennae signal would be weak, based on comments made by people on the forums.  I am having time warner (I already have Roadrunner) run a basic service with their High Def package so I can plug this into the off air antennae coax in.  Any thoughts if this is going to work and maintain my satellite dvr service of that cable in or am i going to have to get a separate dvr for the cable HD box?  Would you put an antennae in if not, and what would you recommend?

thanks

Todd Wiedemann

Hi !

Your idea should work, but our forum member, borghe, has the same DVR you do as well as being our TiVo expert and might help further.

You may want to search the forum and learn about all of the modifications he's made to his box.

Another Menomonee Falls HD person !!

I'm in the subdivision behind Target ... where are you located ??

borghe

the tuner in the Tivo is OTA ATSC only. This means plugging a cable line into it won't work. Tivo and D* did this because pretty much nobody sends out an unencrypted HD signal over cable.

Your choices would be to either get a separate HD cable DVR or better yet, get a rooftop antenna. Menomonee Falls isn't that far.. you should be able to buy any reasonably priced rooftop model and get great signals from everyone except possibly 6 (though many from MF on here are saying they get it).

I would go with the rooftop antenna.

sommers53051

I appreciate the responses.  Doesn't the set top box HD tuner that Time warner gives you unencrypt the signals though? So wouldn't it be unencrypted to the Hughes HD 10-250 DVR (basically the TV out coax which if there was not dvr would go right to the TV).  Wouldn't it then work?  Not to question your expertise, but TimeWarner is coming out tomorrow and I will get charged a service charge if I am wrong.   Not too late to cancel however.  

In light of your comment about channel 6 (FOX) and rooftop antennaes, I am even more inclined to get cable b/c Packer games are usually broadcast on that channel.  

Is there a rooftop antennae that will give me a great signal for fox?  I live near Brookfield Soccer Park btw.

Thanks again for your input

borghe

the HD box only unencrypts cable at the box. it doesn't unencrypt the signal going back out the cable RF on the cable box.

As for the antenna, I would seriously try. It is free, and if it does work (like I said, many people from MF are getting 6) you will pay for that antenna in less than a year ($25/month + tax + franchise fees). worst case scenario is you don't get Fox 6 with the antenna, get the cable also, and then ditch cable once Fox 6 raises there power by spring at the latest.

Being you already spent the money on the Tivo, I emphatically urge you to get the antenna... It's like getting a $40,000 car and then balking at the $500 gold warranty.

As for an atenna, I have a Channel Master 3677 that pulls in every channel like a champ. Email neuens@execpc.com for information on sales and installation. I am EXTREMELY pleased with their work (Kemmer TV). If he can't get Fox 6 for you, no one can (he probably can).

sommers53051

Thanks much Borghe! :D

I am cancellng TimeWarners visit and am emailing your antennae guy.  I hope Im not doing this over the fox 6 signal  :bang:
It's great to be able to get some insight on HDTV on a local level.  The directv, TimeWarner and even Flanner's Audio and Video were essentially unhelpful when it came to answering these questions.

borghe

in case you didn't see, the email link was screwed up.. I have fixed it.