News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Weather Alerts and HD boxes

Started by Bigdog, Tuesday Jul 20, 2004, 09:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

As I'm sure you all know we had those weather alerts that came through the TV. The problem is that they knock the sound off the HD boxes requiring a reboot each time.  It does not affect a standard digital box, just the HD one.  

Is there some fix for this?

kermtfrg

I've never had to reboot mine after this. The sound usually comes back after a minute or two.

Drummerboy

You are talking about Time Warner, right?

What HD box do you have?

How are you running audio out of the cable box, analog or digital?

My SA 3100HD does not exhibit this behavior but my audio receive does something similar.
If I switch to a channel that has digital audio, my audio receiver switches to digital inputs automatically but does not switch back to analog when I switch back to the  "< 100" channels.  I have to switch my receiver back to analog manually (done through remote macros).
Drummerboy, Computer & Network Engineer
Waukesha

summerfun

I have TWC using the Pioneer 3510HD and an Onkyo TX-SR501E Receiver with the digital port.

I have never had the reboot after a warning is broadcast problem nor do I have the issue of switching back from analog to digital that Drummerboy mentioned.

Drummerboy

QuoteOriginally posted by summerfun
I have TWC using the Pioneer 3510HD and an Onkyo TX-SR501E Receiver with the digital port.
I have to switch my receiver because my SA3100 does not output digital audio in the 2-99 channels, only analog.
Waukesha

Packman04

I am also using the Pioneer 3510HD and I have this problem using the RCA jacks for audio.  I was going to switch out boxes with TWC but I guess I could end up with the same problem.   I cringe everytime that they send out the weather alerts over TWC because I know I will have to reboot continuously until the weather alerts stop.

summerfun

QuoteOriginally posted by Drummerboy
I have to switch my receiver because my SA3100 does not output digital audio in the 2-99 channels, only analog.
I don't know if the pioneer 3510HD output is any different for the analog channels, but I don't seem to have that problem. Go back to TWC and have them give you a pioneer 3510HD. There is no charge, just pick the one up and drop the other off at any TWC location.
QuoteOriginally posted by Packman I am also using the Pioneer 3510HD and I have this problem using the RCA jacks for audio.
Do you not have a digital input to your HDTV or receiver?

Bigdog

Packman04, I know what you mean, it gets to be a real hassle having to reboot it every few minutes.

I have a Pioneer 3510  As for audio out I have a digital coax going to the receiver (Onkyo TXSR800) and then the RCAs going to the TV. To be honest the sound loss was through the TV and I never bothered to try it through the receiver when it happened.  

The irony of it is that with the sound gone you could be missing alerts and or news about a storm...  If anyone is listening from TWC they might want to do some checking into this...

Packman04

QuoteDo you not have a digital input to your HDTV or receiver?
I do, but for casual viewing I generally watch it through the TV analog input.

I think that the whole system seems unstable when they are showing these weather alerts.  Even changing channels from an analog to digital channel can cause it to lockup.

Bigdog-  Does your box ever lock up when changing channels on the digital stations.  Mine does everyonce in a while.  Maybe we just have some bad boxes.

Drummerboy

My SA 3100 would occasionally lock and then the box would reset itself, which seemed to occur while switching HD channels a lot.  It did it quite often the first few months I had the box, but it has not done it for several months now.
Waukesha

Bigdog

QuoteOriginally posted by Packman04
I do, but for casual viewing I generally watch it through the TV analog input.

Bigdog-  Does your box ever lock up when changing channels on the digital stations.  Mine does everyonce in a while.  Maybe we just have some bad boxes.

Packman04, yes it does occasionally. It's not usually enough to cause a reboot but it does hang for a several seconds as if confused.  I also use the TV speakers for casual watching as well and use the receiver for either DVDs or if the movie (like on HBO) is is 5.1.

We've actually changed boxes a few times, and even had an amp installed (where the signal is now back to 0db altho analog channels still look worse than if bypassing the box totally) but still get the problems...

Doc Harley

To remove the weather alert and get the sound back just use the INFO button on the remote. No need to reboot.

Bigdog

I think I tried that and didn't work but if the weatherman is right about today I may have another chance to try it.  Thanks for the tip.

Joel S

Could you possibly just need to turn the cable box off for a second and then back on??  Just a thought, and it would be quicker than rebooting.

Bigdog

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel S
Could you possibly just need to turn the cable box off for a second and then back on??  Just a thought, and it would be quicker than rebooting.

Tried that one a few times and does not do anything. As soon as you switch away from CH 2 (the guide) the sound is gone again...