• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Home Theater mags?

Started by Drummerboy, Wednesday Jul 07, 2004, 10:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drummerboy

Can anyone recommend any magazines devoted to home theater equipment and environment (both audio and video).  Looking for something held in high regard like PC Mag is in the computer industry.  I saw a couple like "Audio and Visual" and some other home theater rags but couldn't tell which had the most value for content without being plastered with ads (it seemed to me that Audio and Visual had quite a few ads compared to the amount of useful info).
Drummerboy, Computer & Network Engineer
Waukesha

kjnorman

Stereophile Guide to Home Theater used to be held in high regard, though I do not know if it still is as I stopped buying it a couple of years back.   Mag Actual I note that they have now changed their name so who knows?

Another interesting one is Widescreen Review though this is mostly dedicated to software - again I stopped buying this a couple of years back so i am not sure what it is like now.  This mag tends to come out every couple of months.

Kerry

gparris

Stereophile Guide to Home Theater
Home Theater Magazine
The Perfect Vision Magazine
Sound & Vision Magazine

These are what I subscribe to as it is my business to be in the know.:D

If you can't find what you need to know in these, it probably hasn't been invented or reviewed yet.
These magazines are fine publications with many great articles and reviews on products, including much HDTV information.
If I have forgotten any that I get monthly or bimonthly, I'll add to the list.
Hope this helps...;)

digdugm

I have been reading Widescreen Review for a couple of years now, as stated they do have software reviews, but they have lots of other great articles. From insightful editriols and high-end reviews to industry(HDTV, surround sound, video and copyright just to name a few) news and installation tips and opinion.  http://www.widescreenreview.com is there site, I highly recommend checking it out.:)

Drummerboy

Stereophile Guide to Home Theater seemed to have some good content so I might subscribe to that.  I'll have to check out the Widescreen Review magazine more thoroughly.  I glanced at it but thought it was more about the latest DVD's that have been release than about home theaters (based on a 5 second glance).
I first mentioned a magazine I though was called Audio and Visual but it was Sound and Vision.  That was the magazine I thought looked like it had a lot of ads considering it was the most expensive mag at $7 an issue.

Thanks for the info.
Waukesha

gparris

Some magazines offer different viewpoints and features besides what may appear to be just a lot of ads....:D

Home Theater Magazine offers test reports and many good features while the Perfect Vision offers another viewpoint and testing. All have their bias, but it is good for comparison.

Personally, I found Widescreen Review full of a ads and seemed to me to be mostly about movies rather the delivery vehicles (HDTVs, receivers, amps, speakers, etc.)...IMO.:blush:

If you want to look at back issues or sample without the buy I originally went to the library to review the magazines before my subscriptions started....just a thought.

Drummerboy

QuoteOriginally posted by gparris
I originally went to the library to review the magazines before my subscriptions started....just a thought.
:confused: Library?  What's that?:confused:
jk.  Good idea.  I seem to always forget about that resource.
Waukesha