News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

6-1 and 18-1 are weak for me

Started by StarvingForHDTV, Wednesday Jun 30, 2004, 11:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarvingForHDTV

While I'm waiting for 6-1 to get a signal on the air again, I swapped my RG59 for RG6 and took out a splitter.  I don't know if that will make a big enough difference or not.  18-1 is solid for me, but I don't know if this aiming position will allow me to be solid with 6-1 too.  I guess I will have to wait and see.

Starving

John L

I have yet to see ch. 18 actually broadcast something in High Definition.  I have been checking, even thou the network says the program is "available in High Definition" I haven't seen ch. 18 switch it over to High Definition.

-John L.

borghe

18 must be getting closer.. all programs are currently being broadcast in 1080 with side bars (previously only 480 4:3).

As for RG-59 replaced with RG-6... depending on how long of a run we are talking, that combined with a splitter could be huge results..I previously had an RG-59  run from my D* multi-switch to another location in the house (about 50') and it was a solid ~10 points lower than the rest of my RG-6 runs. As for a splitter, well, that one is simple... Hooking in my antenna to my Hughes E86 I get 58-1 and 6-1 at around 93-100. Hooking it into my Tivo (with a splitter inside the box) I get about 71 on each. And to test, I removed the cover and plugged the antenna directly into one of the tuners and lo and behold... back up to 93-100 on the Tivo as well.. I am actually wondering if I can get a higher quality splitter inside the Tivo.. I also drop from pegged 100's on all other channels on the E86 to around 95 or so on the Tivo.. so there is a huge loss with the splitter.

StarvingForHDTV

I'm happy to report that both signals were rock solid for me last night :)  I guess the RG6 and splitter removal did the trick.  I hope both signals maintain viewability in nasty weather.

Starving

StarvingForHDTV

I popped open the bubbly :drink:  too soon :(   Last night I had problems pulling in 6-1.  I think the first night was just weather friendly or something.  I'll keep playing with aiming and see if I can lock on to both 18-1 and 6-1 with the same antenna position.  I'm not very hopeful anymore.  Perhaps some day one of them will crank up the power.  I won't hold my breath on that one.

Starving

StarvingForHDTV

Last night both signals were fine again :confused:

MilwaukeeHDTV.org -Where it's cool to be a geek-

StarvingForHDTV

Last night during the heavy rain I got some pixelation on 18-1.  6-1 remained solid.  I re-aimed during the rain and I think I found the sweet spot for getting both signals in poor weather.  It's too soon to pop open the bubbly, but it does look promising.  

Starving

Doug Mohr

QuoteOriginally posted by davezen2
Doug,

This may be a stupid question but since you're getting PBS on 8 and nothing else- are you using a UHF antenna and not just one for VHF?  Also if you are using a UHF antenna, have you double checked the wires up on it to see if they might have loosened/come off?

I am using an antennacraft mx1500. The specs are:
Amplified Analog/HDTV Antenna
Multi-directional VHF/UHF reception
14" diameter with 2-28" elements
10 dB amplifier
UV protected housing of impact-resistant filled co-polymer
Mast mounting hardware and offset mast
For mid-range areas

I replaced the cable with one I bought at Marmax.

If I remove the amplifier and install the attenuator, I get barely any signal on any channel. I suppose I could have a bad antenna but I think I think I have the wrong type of antenna for my area. Does anyone have an opinion on the RS UHF Outline Bow-Tie antenna?

Doug

StarvingForHDTV

Both 6-1 and 18-1 have remained rock solid for me since the All Star game.  I still would like to see some more foul weather before I declare 100% victory.

Starving