News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

6-1 and 18-1 are weak for me

Started by StarvingForHDTV, Wednesday Jun 30, 2004, 11:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarvingForHDTV

I spent my time last night splitting hairs between 6-1 and 18-1 with antenna aiming.  If I aim towards either one, the signal is a solid lock for that station.  If I aim between the two I get occasional mild pixelation.  It's a watchable image on both channels, but I would rather have no chance of partial pixelation under normal conditions.  This is with my new 8 bow tie Channel Master antenna hanging in my attic.  With my prior 4 bow tie Channel Master I could not get a usable signal from either 6-1 or 18-1, no matter how I aimed them.

Would mounting an antenna on my rooftop improve my chances of getting rock solid signals for both 6-1 and 18-1 at the same time?  Any opinions?

Thanks in advance,

Starving

Racer47

Being in the attic definitely reduces the signal received by about 30-50%. I would try it outside for sure. Before I installed my CM 8 bay, I spent a fair amount of time trying different locations;  outside on a 5 ft pole all around the yard, on the roof from one end to the other, in the attic, etc. It was surprising to see how much difference 30 feet in location can make. You will never know for sure until you try it for yourself in your location.

I ended up with my 8 bay in the attic (along with a rather large VHF only antenna). I also bought a Channel Master pre-amp to experiment with. The models 7777 and 7778 are generally regarded as two of the best.

I grew up in Northern Wis in what is still a white zone. TV reception was very difficult. I have been playing with antennas for 25 years. I think it is interesting and challenging to pull in weak signals and get clear pictures that your neighbors say are "impossible". Work with your set up for a while. Chances are very good that it can be improved.

Channel Master used to make a 7 foot diameter, dish shaped UHF only antenna. It had more gain than the current 8 bay. I always wanted one, but never pursued it because they were expensive. 3 years ago I finally decided to buy one, but it was too late. They quit making them and I couldn't find one left over in stock anywhere. I'm not saying that this would help your condition, but I would like to have one to experiment with (plus they looked cool).

StarvingForHDTV

Thanks for your input Racer47.  I would probably need a long cable to experiment with many different locations on my property.  It would be a time consuming process, but it may be worth trying.  I'm surprised you ended up in your attic.  That 7' diameter dish shaped antenna does sound impressive.  You have to wonder how it would do under windy conditions though.  I wouldn't want my house to sail away ;)

Thanks for your input.  I'm going to see how the signal I have does for a while.  If it degrades under "bad" weather, I might do the moving experiment you outlined.

Starving

Racer47

I didn't mean to imply that the attic was my best location. At the time I was trying to maximize the signal for ch 18 and 24 digital. I found out that the attic along with a pre-amp gave me a good signal. Fortunately this also now works with Fox 6 digital.

The main reason I preferred the attic was lack of potential lightning problems and lack of weather damage. The main negative is signal degradation.

I did not use a long cable to experiment. I took a 13" tv outside along with my STB, some coax, some extension cord and the 8 bay on a pole. Then I, pick a location, rotate the antenna, monitor the signal strength, make some notes and pick a new location, etc.

It took all day to do the outside, roof and attic. But I'm very happy with the results (now including Fox) and have no visible antennas or wiring (except the Dish Network dish). I also have a good location. I'm on the same ridge as Holy Hill at about 1080 ft elevation. Standing on my roof, I can darn near see the transmitting towers.

I'll add that the main reason I did all the outside and roof work was because I was really trying hard get the previous Fox 6 digital signal, just to see if it was possible. But I never got anything.

StarvingForHDTV

Thanks for the further input Racer47.  I'm not surprised you couldn't get the old Fox digital signal.  That one was really tough to get.  I'm glad you found a working solution for yourself.

Starving

Doug Mohr

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer47
It took all day to do the outside, roof and attic. But I'm very happy with the results (now including Fox) and have no visible antennas or wiring (except the Dish Network dish). I also have a good location. I'm on the same ridge as Holy Hill at about 1080 ft elevation. Standing on my roof, I can darn near see the transmitting towers.

Standing on my roof I CAN see the transmitting towers, yet I get problems with many channels. I think I am doing something wrong. Last week I was getting over 90% on most channels except 4 and 12 which are 0%, now I am getting about 45% on the channels I could receive and still nothing on the others.

I replaced the cable with one from marmax, moved the antenna around, still no better. I think being 4 miles away, I should be able to get good reception.

If anyone has the patience to try and get my setup working (Antennamax MX1500, MyHD card), shoot me a PM with your hourly rate. I figure this is not the right antenna for my needs, but I don't know for sure.

Doug

foxeng

If you are only 4 miles, you might have too much signal. RS makes an adjustable attenuation box for about $20. Put that in line and start changing the gain and it might work better for.

Detritus

Doug, you mention that you have a MyHD.

Are you using the dual RF inputs?

If so, that could be your problem. The MyHD card (and most other PCI HDTV cards) don't have goot RF seperation between the two inputs, so it is advisable to only use one at a time.

StarvingForHDTV

I tried my setup tonight and things have worsened considerably.  6-1 is no longer available, and 18-1 is unwatchable.  I guess I have to do something different.  Now the fun begins.....

Starving

Doug Mohr

QuoteOriginally posted by foxeng
If you are only 4 miles, you might have too much signal. RS makes an adjustable attenuation box for about $20. Put that in line and start changing the gain and it might work better for.

I had tried that a few months ago, but I can give it another shot.

Thanks.

Doug Mohr

QuoteOriginally posted by Detritus
Doug, you mention that you have a MyHD.

Are you using the dual RF inputs?

If so, that could be your problem. The MyHD card (and most other PCI HDTV cards) don't have good RF separation between the two inputs, so it is advisable to only use one at a time.

I am only using one input. I don't find value in cable or satellite.

I do get consistent 100% on PBS Digital Channel 8 :confused:

davezen2

Doug,

This may be a stupid question but since you're getting PBS on 8 and nothing else- are you using a UHF antenna and not just one for VHF?  Also if you are using a UHF antenna, have you double checked the wires up on it to see if they might have loosened/come off?

borghe

four miles from the stations you MUST use an attenuator.. I am only six miles from east capital and I have to use a 20dB attenuator to get any signal at all with my rooftop...

you buy the variable attenuator from RS though I never get as good of results from that as with actual block attenuators... best bet is to pick up like a few 3dB attenuators and in your case a 20dB one..  mix and match til you get the best signal and return the rest. Or try the variable one.

Rick Sass

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer47

I ended up with my 8 bay in the attic (along with a rather large VHF only antenna). I also bought a Channel Master pre-amp to experiment with. The models 7777 and 7778 are generally regarded as two of the best.

I will be doing a similiar setup. I have a large UHF/VHF antenna using it for FM as well. I will also be using a 8 bay bowtie for UHF. With your setup, please tell me how you hooked up and wired your two antenna's together.

My current antenna is a  CM V/U/FM antenna, however I cannot get 58 or 6 digital. My antenna is in the attic and I do not want to put it on the roof. Would using a 8 bay bowtie in combination with my current U/V/FM work and improve my chances of getting 58 and 6 digital? Also, is the RS 8 bay bowtie the same as the CM 8 bay bowtie?

Thanx,

Rick

Racer47

Its easy. I used the Channel Master #7778 pre-amp. It has separate UHF and VHF inputs. Just put the new 8 bay on the UHF input and the VHF/UHF on the VHF input.

The CM 8 bay is currently the best UHF antenna available (they also have a very good yagi style). So the 8 bay should have quite a bit more gain than the UHF part of the combo antenna. If your problem is weak signal, that should help.

I didn't know Radio Shack had an 8 bay. I'd say if it looks similar to the CM than its probably made by CM.

Good luck with it. Experiment a little, move it and rotate it all the way around and see what you can get.