• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Does WTMJ make any money?

Started by Joseph S, Monday Jun 28, 2004, 09:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph S

I don't understand why they continue to hire and reshuffle the same bunch of folks. Tonight, they decided to put on some boring wannabe racist on the air. Apparently he is going to Springfield, but this way they say, "see we tried other hosts but all we could find was Syke's producer." I don't get it. WGN is owned by Tribune too, they seem to have too many hosts, why can't we at least get one their fill ins instead of this phony who doesn't seem to have any prior experience on the air?

RLJSlick

Are you talking about the radio station, or TV station? ;)
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

Joseph S

Probably both, but I don't catch many local news shows so I don't know much about the "Anchorman" situation. ;)

John L

WTMJ 620 is #1 in the ratings.  I think most part is they have pretty much all of the Sports packages, Bucks, Brewers, Packers, and Badgers.

"Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Bucks, here them all on WTMJ radio."

Its obvious that the most profit WTMJ radio makes is thru the sports programming.  I remember back when WTMJ-TV aired teh Brewers games and making money on that.  Nowadys it seems as thou TV stations are losing money on sports programming. I heard on the news today that ABC Network is "losing" money on Monday Night Football  (MNF).   After 2005 ESPN plans to take over MNF and it no longer be carried by ABC-TV.

-John L.

Tom Snyder

Don't be so sure about the sports...

They have the highest cuming morning show in the state, and their sales staff turns it into a money machine. Sykes has a loyal audince that prvide the stations with equally loyal advertisers. Jonathan Green  has been a franschise for decades. They consistantly win awards for being one the best run, best rpogrammed, most influential radio station in the country.  

Sports is just another one of the elements that makes them incredibly successful, and they are more than just the sum of their parts.

That's why they can still be successful even with B-level talent in some of their dayparts.  And it drives their competitors nuts! I know cuz I have friends and former employees who work there, and I spent 15 years in Milwaukee radio competing against them.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Joseph S

QuoteThat's why they can still be successful even with B-level talent in some of their dayparts. And it drives their competitors nuts! I know cuz I have friends and former employees who work there, and I spent 15 years in Milwaukee radio competing against them.
I'll give you the "B," but some of the Sports guys are not anywhere near D in my book for displaying only expertise in 1 sport if that.

I think the problem is they don't have any competitors. If I auotune the dial I usually get WTMJ, WSCR, WGN, and WISN. Of those only one is going to be a "competitor" in the region. WISN however runs almost no local shows to compete.

I'm all ears for recommendations.

Joseph S

They're running infomercials right now on WTMJ. Ugh.