News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

2nd floor Attic or 1st floor roof?

Started by Riktar, Wednesday Sep 10, 2003, 03:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riktar

Well I finally summed up the courage to go up on the 2nd floor roof to move the antenna higher. I figured if I was going to risk life and limb over this I was going to go the whole route and put up a rotor as well.

So far just moving the antenna up has allowed me to now add 1-1 (Ch 58) to my lineup.

The search for other stations begins,,,,,:rock:

tomj2812

So i'm in St. Francis with a Samsung sir 15o and a rca amplified antenna and can only get 10-1 thru 10-5 pbs. Is this all there is ???

Riktar

What model antenna is it? From where you are located you should be getting all the local channels (Except Fox6 of course) with relative ease.

Are you in an apartment? 2nd floor duplex? Basement?

If you could provide a little more info it would help in determining a solution.

tomj2812

I'm in a 2nd floor corner apt. wood construction. Near the St. Francis police dept.It's very disappointing

tomj2812

Also i tried tried Terk model inddoe antenna ,i did not improve over the standard older model rca antenna. I just bought a rca amplified  hdtv enabled antenna and the signal strenth went up to 9 on my Samsung Sirt 150 but still i only get  the pbs stations occasionally the pac station or is it pax??

Riktar

The best indoor antenna to use is either a Silver Sensor or a Radio Shack bowtie. Either one of those are going to more that ANY Terk or RCA model indoor antenna. For that matter I don't think you will find ANY indoor antenna that will even match up to those 2.

Do some searching on the boards and you will find very favorable reviews on those models.

Hope that helps. If not you may have to find a way to get outdoors. Although I find it hard to believe you can only get PBS from your location. It has got to be those over-hyped antennas you are using.

One other thing you can check is wether the antenna's you are using are "directional" by nature. Have you tried to re-position them? I would try varying the position in 22 degree or 1/8 turn increments. You will have to fine tune them further but that will give you an initial idea if direction pointing is required.

tomj2812

The terk looks identical to the zenith silver sensor, except for the base. I'll try reorienting the antenna again tho i've tried this . How many stations do you figure i should be able to receive? Do you trhink the tuner could be at fault??

Riktar

I suppose it could be the tuner but I would think the problems would be global rather than channel specific.

From St Francis I would think that you could get every DTV signal that Milwaukee has to offer (Fox 6 excluded of course) with an indoor antenna.

There are members of this board that live not far from me who are using Silver Sensor antennas and are pulling in the majority of Milwaukee's digital offerings.

Make sure you are using good quality RG6 coax cable to feed you Samsung. Using cheap antenna cable can give you problems as well.

I don't suppose the corner apt you are in is the NW one?

tomj2812

my apt is in the ne corner. I'll have to do some more investigating Thanks

tomj2812

http://www.gemini-usa.com/gemini/index.asp I think the silver densor and the phillips are made by the same co. Gemini

StarvingForHDTV

You want a UHF antenna.  If you are VHF, that would explain getting PBS which is ch8 digital (re-mapped to 10-1 - 10-6)

Starving