• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

NBC Time slot slip

Started by summerfun, Wednesday May 12, 2004, 12:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

summerfun

Has anyone noticed that NBC has been slipping their programs a few minutes before the hour and half hour time slots? ER starting at 8:59 in stead of 9:00 for example.

It is correctly listed on the guide showing a 8:59 start time, so it is not a mistake. It is planned that way.

Are they just doing that to piss off the people recording with DVR and TIVO? If that is their plan, it is working. By adding that extra minute, I cannot record the previous hour on another channel because it will overlap the start time of 8:59 on NBC.

I fail to see their logic. Do they think I will not watch a show on another channel the hour before because I have to choose between that shows last minute or their shows first minute? It just makes me boil.

I choose to not watch the NBC first minute, but I can't make my DVR do that. It can be set to start early or end late, but not start late. Even if it could, I should not have to manually mess around with crap like that every week just to record the shows I want.

mrmike

They're doing it so that they can sell more ad time in the "hot shows".  1 Minute puts the top-of-the-hour ads into the next show instead of the previous one. I've taken to making manual recordings for the few shows on NBC I still watch (ER mostly and not for long) on my TiVos.

kjnorman

QuoteOriginally posted by summerfun
Are they just doing that to piss off the people recording with DVR and TIVO? If that is their plan, it is working. By adding that extra minute, I cannot record the previous hour on another channel because it will overlap the start time of 8:59 on NBC.

A dual tuner directivo solves that problem.  However it has long be a moan against NBC for the way they schedule their shows.  BTW, the other networks do this as well (especially FOX) but it is just that they do not own up to it.

As to the reason they do this, yes they can sell more advertising, but I have also read that it is also to do with the way Neilsen scores shows in 1/2 hours segments.  The theory being that the audience tuning in to see ER at 8:59 will add to the total for the 8:30 to 9:00 time slot, thereby bumping up the ratings for that show - allowing NBC to charge more for the advertising slots.

Look at it another way, by selling a minute more advertising in an expensive show and having a minute less advertising in a cheaper show will altimately increase NBC's advertising income.

Yes it may piss you off they do not care as it is all about the money.  Vote with your viewing and stop watching them - only when their ratings drop will they take notice that they're alienating their viewers...  

All about the money...

Joseph S

CSI goes until 901 every Thursday.

summerfun

QuoteOriginally posted by kjnorman
A dual tuner directivo solves that problem.  
Actually a dual tuner does not solve the problem; it only stretches the issue out by one show. I have the duel tuner.

I dual tuner still has the same problem. I cannot record two shows from 8:00 to 9:00 if the show I want to record from 9:00 to 10:00 starts at 8:59. One of the 8:00 to 9:00 shows wont record, or the 8:59 to 10:00 show wont record, depending on the priority I have set up.

It's still a screw job. It's sounds like Neilsen better get with it and not provide those people with such a loop hole. One minute in a half hour time slot should not count as credit for that time slot.