• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DVD player recommendations for my new TV?

Started by MathWiz579, Saturday May 08, 2004, 12:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MathWiz579

Hello all,
Getting my new 51" Sony WS510 delivered tomorrow, and now I'm in the market for a DVD player. I currently just use my PS2, so I'd really like to get something that would work better with the TV. I would like to stay under $200 with it, and I only need a single disc. If I go over $200, I know that ecost currently has the Denon 2900 for a hair undr $300, which is what I would probably pick up. I'll probably use component for it, saving my DVI for HDTV.

I have been looking at AVS forum for recommendations, but their DVD section is not very organized in that regard.

Any recommendations would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Matt Heebner

Here is a link to the Secrets Of Home Theater and High Fidelity progressive DVD player shootout.

Secrets DVD Shootout

The Denon 2900 has an awesome combined score of 90, which is fantastic. If you search around on that site, they explain exactly what they test, and explain the results.

I have yet to come across a reasonably priced DVD player that can out perform my 3 year old Panasonic RP56, although I came very close when Flanners had a Denon DV 1600 on closeout. Still was like $450, and I couldn't justify the spending.

Anyways, this site should only be used as a guide considering all they test on the players is PICTURE QUALITY....no sound quality, or whether or not is does SACD or DVD-Audio.

Good Luck

Matt

MathWiz579

how is Flanners? I've driven by it many a time, but never gone in to see their selection.

StarvingForHDTV

I have the Panasonic RP82 and have been happy with it.  I feel it was a very good value at it's price.  I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on a standard DVD player.  I'm waiting for HD-DVD to kick in.  That will be worth spending for, IMHO.

Starving

MathWiz579

Starving,

Do you happen to know of a place where I can find the RP82? They were discontinued last year by Panasonic.

gparris

I have a suggestion for you: Pioneer has a really great DVD player with a great picture and has the DVD Audio and SACD playback feature included.
Model DV-563AS has everything you need for any audio play back with Pioneer's "Pure Cinema Progressive" scan video playback. While not a high-end DVD player, it is packed with features.
I have this model for my DVD audio and SACD music discs along and use it for single-DVD movie play when I rent or borrow a movie and don't want to use my changer system.  I think that would be an excellent model for you to buy for your new HDTV set.  
Most places like Circuit City or Best Buy sell it for $149 or less and it is in stock. I would highly recommend it based on my experience with this model.

If you want a higher-end DVD player, get the Denon DVD-910 single disc player with Faroudja DCDi™ de-interlacer with 3-2 pulldown processing, as it has done an excellent job of creating almost HD like pictures from every DVD I have watched on it, using my Kenwood Changer System. It retails for $299 but forum members have bought it for much less.

I hope you take my advice and check out my suggestions as you won't go wrong with either one!:cool:

MathWiz579

I actually have seen the Pioneer, and basically every review I have seen has been excellent. Ecost has the 910 for like $130 refurbished through Denon, which is an option as well (I would also get a slightly extended warrenty if I got that one, just in case something bad happened to it).

I went DVD-player shopping today at Flanners, CC, and BB. The only other player I saw that looked interesting was that new Samsung player with DVI output. Model HD931. I wouldn't use the DVI, since I am saving that for HDTV, but it looked like it could be sweet for component.

On a side note, my TV was delivered with a flaw on an inner screen, so there is a black dot on the right side of the screen that won't go away. Called CC and they are delivering a new one on Tuesday, which works for me.

Second side note: geez regular D* "sucks" on the new TV... big TVs really show the flaws in the signal. Can't wait to order my HD service through DirecTV (and hopefully get the $99 deal).

Third side note: PS2 DVD looks bad on the TV... realized that the PS2 DVD was set to a 4:3 TV, which couldn't be switched, and I was only using the basic cable, which sucks. Can't wait to get the new DVD.

Fourth side note: I do LOVE this TV! SO nice to get a big TV in here!

easylistener

The 931 looks and works good only when using the dvi and upscaling.  You can not upscale using the  compent outputs.  I heard the denon 2200 was a nice player.  I have a couple year old sony with sacd and it has a great picture.  I was rated high for the time.

MathWiz579

easylistener,

Good to know since I will most likely use component. Time to spend the evening looking at the ton of reviews for the Pioneer... things are looking pretty good. However, I don't really need the DVD-A or SACD playback at this time... not the largest high-quality audio person.

Thanks for the help thus far!

gparris

If you get this one it will really put the wow factor in why you bought the HDTV if you don't anything else now.
The DVD-910 that Paul S. got is definitely a great player and my Kenwood system employs the same picture processor using component cables, no less. Get one, now!

The Faroudja processing is almost HD-like in performance and he got it (with some of my prodding) for the benefit of having really cool performance with DVDs with his HDTV set. ;)

You won't regret getting this DVD player, either!.:D

Bebop

Look at the Zenith DVB-318 under $200. It can output 408p,720p and 1080i via component or DVI. Yes, it has a Faroudja chip too.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=328403&perpage=20&highlight=318&pagenumber=1

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

gparris

I think if Mathwiz579 gets anymore confused he is going to give up...so let him buy and install a dvd prog scan player now.ok?:mad:

MathWiz579

Heh heh... not confused really... I have seen great things about both the Denon 910 and the Pioneer 563A. Obviously the Pioneer is cheaper and more easily available. The Denon is available at ecost refurbished for $130, however there have been many posts on AVS about getting a bad unit from ecost and having problems returning it for another. Still not sure what I'm going to do... reading more reviews and stuff tonight and if I go with the Pioneer I'll stop by CC tomorrow morning and pick it up. Any other opinions about the Pioneer vs. Denon would be appreciated.

Thanks again as always!

MathWiz579

Actually just remember that when I was in Flanner's on Saturday I saw an open-box 910 for like $239 or $249. The fact that it also plays WMA CDs (my whole digital music collection is wma... 1500+ files) is a plus. I think I'll stop by Flanner's tomorrow a.m., see about there return policy, and pick it up.

Any other comments would be appreciated... I'll post back tomorrow after I calibrate the player a bit and do some test watching.

Thanks again!