News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

46/58 messed up or is it just my new Tivo?

Started by borghe, Friday May 07, 2004, 08:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

borghe

so I get a mid-70's on my Tivo on 46, and I tried turning to 58-1 only to find that it says searching for signal in antenna.. so for kicks I flip up a channel to 58-2, and lo and behold, there is CBSHD...

so what's going on???? any other DirecTV subs have 58 located on 58-2? everything is shifted up a channel... 58-2, 58-3, 58-4. Also, I punched in 46 directly and get the same thing (channels all shifted up to 46-2, 46-3, 46-4).

not a big deal, EXCEPT that the guide info is on 58-1 and the channel is on 58-2.. pretty much makes it impossible to record anything on 58..... :(

any info Jim Hall?

borghe

ok, the plot thickens...

46-2 gives me WDJT-DT
58-2 gives me WDJT-DT
1-1 gives me WDJT-DT (had to do a channel scan on the tivo)

46-3 gives me WMLW
58-3 gives me WMLW
1-2 gives me WMLW

so I can get WDJT-DT and WMLY.. here is the problem though. The only guide data at all for WDJT-DT and WMLW is on 58-1 and 58-2. So if I actually try to use the Tivo to record by guide data instead of time slot programming, it will record 58-1 between 7-8, but it won't get anything. It will record 58-2 between 7-8, but will get WDJT-DT instead of WMLW.

Now I can only guess that for whatever reason, the PSIP data has shifted all the channels up, meaning now to 46-2, 46-3, 46-4, and that DirecTV as statically pointing to those channels with 58-1, 58-2, and 58-3. I am also assuming that 46-2 is remapping to 1-1, 46-3 to 1-1, etc.

So I think I've figured it out.. now comes the obvious question.. WHY IS IT DOING THIS!?!?!? My wife will absolutely kill me if after spending $1000 on this thing we can't record CBS HD on it (I told her we could).. all 58 has to do is move WDJT-DT back to 46-1 and everything will be fine.. HELP!!!!!!!

oh, if I'm wrong on any of this, let me know, but I really have to get this resolved ASAP. thanks.

borghe

alright.. I just tested this out on my other box and it is fine there.. so it "seems" like it is just the Tivo that is shifting everything up on channel 46 by one subchannel...

If anyone else can help me out here, clear all of your OTA channel data and rescan. I would GREATLY appreciate it. I need to know if anyone else is seeing anything other than on channels 46-1, 46-2, and 46-3 like you normally would. Thanks.

Hopefully this is just with Tivo.. if it is anything on 58's end as well I would hate to have to work with both companies to get this resolved.. arrghh..

Wurster

Long time lurker, first time poster.  In fact, I was involved back when this was still a yahoo group, but a newborn at home had other ideas about what I should be doing with all my free time...

In any event, I just received my HR10-250 from Circuitcity.com on Tuesday and noticed the exact same issues with channels 46/58 that you are describing.  Borghe, did you get any response from Jim Hall on the issue?  The HD-TIVO replaced a Zenith high def set-top box and I didn't have these problems with the Zenith.  It's obviously not a dealbreaker, but it is more than a little annoying when trying to record CBS HD.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

borghe

it isn't a WDJT thing, it is a Tivo thing.. others from other areas around the country are having problems with this also. WDJT comes in just fine on my E86 on 46-1 through 46-3. Just not the Tivo, where all the channels are shifted up one.

CALL INTO DIRECTV!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!! Also if you want to help out in another way, make an account on //www.tivocommunity.com if you haven't already and post to this thread.

This is an obvious problem with the Tivo, and despite what sprocto (from that thread) was told, it is not an individual hardware problem but a tuner problem that DirecTV should be able to fix with firmware.

So please, call DirecTV and tell them the exact problem (feel free to tell them that other customers from Milwaukee are having this same problem) and sign in on that thread on tivocommunity. The louder we shout about this, hopefully the quicker they will be to respond.

Also, you should be able to receive channel 10-2 just fine now.. The Tivo isn't mapping this station correctly for some reason, though now that their guide data is appearing correctly for it it won't be able to be duplicated.. So that is one less problem you will have to deal with. :)

edit - oh, the level 2 tech I spoke with said there is a software upgrade currently being rolled out to Tivos.. he told me to check and see if this upgrade fixes it...

edit2 - and grats on the Tivo.. glad someone else in the area bought one also.. starting to feel lonely. Aside from that minor hiccup with 58 currently, I am completely loving it. HDNet Movies is currently running about 4 or 5 old war movies that are currently unavilable on DVD.. needless to say, that is definitely some "save until I delete" material if I've ever heard of it...

denno

count me in--got my HR10-250 from CC on Thursday!

borghe

check channel 46.. everything should be shifted up one subchannel.. if it isn't, let us know.. if it is, let DirecTV know.. the more people who call in on this hopefully the faster it will be fixed.

denno

I'm not receiving any CBS OTA at all; I am going to have the installer come back to adjust the antenna since I have been able to pick it up only occasionally since they installed it a few wks ago.

denno

the installer is coming to check my antenna...to check Channel 58 reception should I tune my Tivo to 58-2??

borghe

you can check signal strength on channel 46 as normal (go to OTA signal strength and tune switch to 46). but to make sure you are getting a picture yes you would tune to either 58-2 or 46-2.

Funny enough if you scan first and then punch in 46-2 it will take you to 1-1 corrently... lol..

will call DirecTV later this week to find out what the status is. The good news is that people on the Tivo forums are starting to report that when they call this in, the engineers are saying that they have other reports of this as well and are looking into it.

Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

denno

i'm on the phone now with a clueless DTV tech...told him to go look at the tivocommunity thread. he said he hasn't heard anything about this.

update--he said it's being worked on & that other techs/engineers there had talked to people from tivocommunity about it.

phone number direct to tech is 800.695.9251; he said to call back periodically to check on status of fix but that it would be downloaded when available

tazman

Don't be supprised if by Friday or early next week you will have to re-scan your channels all over again.  I've seen WDJT switch or I should shuffle the deck on their multicast about 4 or 5 times in the last month and a half on channel 46.  One thing I have to say that is nice about the peicec of junk tuner card I have is that It forces me to switch to the XP desktop and use the tuner's software menu to select multicasts.  That's how I know at least that when ever I tune 46 looking for 58, I see which multicast they put it on.  Kinda like Romper Room and musical chairs.:D

kjnorman

So what was the resolution on these issues?

I would like to know that the HD Tivo fully works in the Milwaukee area before I try to seriously talk my wife into letting me get one for my birthday.

BTW, they appear to be widely available for purchase at circuit city on-line now.

Kerry

Rick Sass

I just spoke to a tech at DTV and he was aware of the problem and he gave me a fax number to report the issue. They will use this info from different users and then try to come up with a fix. In the fax be as specific as possible.

Here is the info:

Kirk Branam
Ext 4669
Supervisor/Senior Technician
406-727-0730

borghe

well, I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that there doesn't seem to be a fix in sight from either WDJT or DirecTV/Tivo.

The good news is that I finally figured out a fix myself. Even more I can do this fix for anyone who needs it done for a small price.. say a six pack.. :drink:

basically to perform the fix I will need to hack your Tivo. I can either bring a USB Ethernet dongle to perform the hack with or you can purchase one ($30). To fix this problem I will need to hack your Tivo to get a telnet prompt and Tivoweb, and then change some entries in the MFS database on your Tivo. The good news is that this DOES work. I am tuning in 58-1 and 58-2 correctly now. The only side effect is that if WDJT/DirecTV/Tivo ever fix the problem, you will encounter the opposite of the original problem (your 58-1 will now be pointing at WMLW and your 58-2 will be pointing at nothing). Fortunately once everything is hacked, undoing the fix takes all of about 10 seconds and I can email you the script you would need to run to do it.

So again, if any HD Tivo owners out there want me to fix their Tivo so they can view and record 58-1 and 58-2 correctly, let me know. It's the least I can do for the members of this board.

Edit - and while I would be doing this hack, adding anouther 250GB or 300GB drive at the same time would be trivial.. no reason to sit around at 30 hours of HD as long as we got the box open anyway.