• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

NAB Takes Aim (Again) At Two-Dish Locals

Started by Gregg Lengling, Friday May 07, 2004, 07:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

The National Association of Broadcasters took issue with statements made earlier in the week by EchoStar CEO Charles Ergen concerning renewal of the Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act (SHVIA).

John Orlando, NAB executive vice president, government relations, said Ergen's suggestions made before the Senate Commerce Committee that EchoStar's two-dish policy is consistent with the intent of the carry one, carry all statute in SHVIA, and that the policy is the product of a compromise between DBS and local TV businesses, is "patently false."

"The claim that local broadcasters somehow consented to the two-dish policy is unfounded," Orlando said in a letter sent to members of the Senate Commerce Committee. "During hearings and debates leading up to enactment of the 1999 Act, EchoStar said nothing about a two-dish policy. Moreover, when EchoStar started its abusive two-dish practice in 2001, NAB immediately filed a petition challenging its legality and local public and commercial television stations protested vigorously at the FCC."

Reauthorization of the 1999 SHVIA law provides a "prime opportunity" to put an end to the two-dish locals solution, Orlando said. "Where the FCC has not yet acted, Congress should," he added.

Senior Vice President David Moskowitz, attending EchoStar's annual meeting in Denver Thursday, said he had not seen the NAB letter. But he criticized the organization and its moves on Capitol Hill concerning the two-dish issue.

On NAB's assertion that the two-dish solution could be bending SHVIA's rules, Moskowitz said, "If it is not legal, then why are they trying to get a law passed to change it?"

He added, "The two dish experience is completely seamless to the customer. We provide a free dish. We provide free professional installation. I'm not sure why the NAB has taken the position they have with the issue.

"Obviously, they are a very powerful lobby, especially in an election year," Moskowitz said.

During the shareholder meeting, EchoStar CEO Charles Ergen echoed the same sentiment concerning the broadcast lobby. "Broadcasters want to change the rules in the middle of the game," Ergen said. He added that facing the broadcast lobby is tough: "We have never won a battle against broadcasters in Washington," he said.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

borghe

I think this really stinks.. I'm sorry.. obviously I am pro-dish, but I think the dish companies should be able to do whatever they want being there are plenty of options out there if the consumer doesn't want two dishes...

NAB is basically trying to cutoff DBS' arms in "the best interest" of the consumer. How is giving the consumer fewer options in their best interest? Let Charlie or Rupert require two dishes for some communities to get locals. If the consumers don't like it, they can get cable service. If they can't get cable service, they can always get voom.

Just another way NAB is trying to strong arm using its influence to keep DBS down. It's not entirely unexpected, I just can't believe the FCC is going for it.. I guess money talks, especially when it is however many MSO's (dozens?) vs. basically two DBS providers.......