• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Widescreen DVDs

Started by Lebowski, Monday May 03, 2004, 11:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lebowski

Hi...
I have recently purchased a 55" Philips Widescreen TV.  I'm kind of confused...on some of the DVDs I purchase/rent, the image takes up the whole screen, while on others, I have the black bars on top/bottom.  
For instance, I bought a "Widescreen" version of Titanic thinking that the image would take up the whole screen, yet it didn't.  I've been doing some research online...

Does this have something to do with this dvd not being "anamorphic"?

The Law

This has to do with quite a few things.  Non of which indicate anything is wrong.  First, let's assume you have rented/purchased the widescreen format.

1)  Make sure the DVD Player is set to widescreen or 16:9 on it's setup menu
2)  You will see some black bars sometimes depending upon in which format the film was shot in.  I don't have all the numbers but suffice it to say there are different flavours of widescreen and different aspect ratios.  I believe Skipjack on this forum has a link in his signature that really gives a great explanation of all this - including anamorphic
3)  To alleviate some this, try putting your TV into "zoom" mode for those movies that have more black than others then back to "standard" for others that aren't that way
4)  The 16:9 for TV, I believe was chosen since it plays well to accomodate the other aspect rations that films are shot in - which, I've forgotten :)

Here, I've found the link

summerfun

Nothing is wrong. You are doing everything correctly.

Some movies are "full screen" 4:3 and you will get black bars on right and left.

Other movies are "wide screen" 16:9 and will fill your widescreen TV fully. That is what your expecting.

Then some movies are even wider than "wide screen" 2.35:1 and will give you some black bars on top and bottom. I think this is what you are experiencing. This is normal. Some may choose to "stretch" or "zoom" to get it to fill the whole screen, but I say, watch it as it was meant to be watched and don't "stretch".

Matt Heebner

Here is the ultimate website to help explain the often confusing world of aspect ratio :

Widescreen Explained

THis should clear up any confusion.

Matt

tazman

With out doing the math.  When you look at the back of the DVD case and if your eye sight is good enough, which mine is not.  You'll find somewhere on there the Aspect ratio.  I believe the ones that are labeled 1.85:1 will fit the 16x9 screen and the ones listed as 2.35:1 will leave black bars on top and bottom.  But thats what the zoom feature on the player is for.  One thing you will find now is that you will be paying closer attention to whether the DVD you rent or buy is WIDE screen or STANDARD.  Need I say what you will be looking for.  Enjoy:)