• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Eliab did my set!

Started by Paul S., Saturday May 29, 2004, 09:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul S.

Avical- A Man, a Laptop, and a Calibration.

I suppose I could go on and on right away about the end result of my calibration and how killer my display looks.

I'm not.

You see, there are a few extremely important items when it comes to being a successful business man in my book. First off, appearence. Eliab is clean cut and dresses appropriately for the job. He doesn't smell like a day old can of tuna and doesn't look like he's homeless. Second, ease of speaking about anything. He settles in right away and starts the conversation and keeps you interested. Last (and most important), you can tell right off the bat that this guy is a GOOD guy. He was very open and candid from the start about where he's from, his family, and just about anything you could want to talk about.

Here's the breakdown:

5:00pm- Pick Eliab up at General Mitchell Airport.

5:30- We are hungry and order pizza.

5:35 - Eliab cracks open his laptop. I crack open a beer.

5:40- Eliab goes over the entire process of the calibration- what his goals are for my set and how awesome its gonna look.

6:00-Pizza comes. I eat a medium so fast my stomache hurts. A lot. Eliab chats more about his duties as a calibrator and whoofs his pizza down, too. I crack open another beer.                                                                            

6:15-12:30am- We take apart the TV and he shows me everything inside (optics, mirrors, CRT's, various focus's, toaster oven) and pretty much explains what the important parts inside do and how to check/clean the optics/mirrors. He thouroughly and enthusiasticly answered every question I had about anything. After going over everything he advised me that I didn't need to get anything more than  basic package (and a killer tweak- Duvedrape).

After hours of service menu settings, convergence grids, overscan patterns, and questions about this and that, it was time for some 'critical viewing'. He popped in 'The Fifth Element' and viewed some specific scenes that we saw prior to tweaking and-WOW!!! I truly was taken aback by what I saw! I could not believe how awesome the picture was-it seemed almost 3 dimensional. He even went back and readjusted some parameters in the service menu. Pirates of the Carribean never looked so bad a$$! The job was complete and we could finally kick back and have a few.

All in all, the job done was every bit as brilliant as Eliabs personality. To call it great is an extreme understament. In the past I have done business with quite a few people and know what to look for. No one has even scratched the surface of customer service that Eliab has established. Not only is he a wealth of knowldege on home theater, he is an outstanding American; and he is welcome back to my home anytime he wants. I seriously cannot say enough about him.

Thank you, Eliab, thank-you.

Oh, by the way, even my fiance noticed a difference ;)

tazman

QuoteOh, by the way, even my fiance noticed a difference

Ya I suppose if you can even get a Pirate to shave, that's a noticable difference.  Ooops I'm sorry, you were refering to your set wern't you.:o :D  Arrrr....

easylistener

How much did that cost you?

I have been looking for a good cali. for a long time.

Paul S.

QuoteOriginally posted by tazman
Ya I suppose if you can even get a Pirate to shave, that's a noticable difference.  Ooops I'm sorry, you were refering to your set wern't you.:o :D  Arrrr....

:eek:  :p

QuoteOriginally posted by easylistener
How much did that cost you?

I have been looking for a good cali. for a long time.

Check out his site for pricing- he reccommended the basic package for me. Some people have more f'ed up sets and need more work. //www.avical.com

RickNeff

Yes, Eliab does a fine job!  Very similar results when he did my set last year.  My wife noticed the difference as well.

Tomorrow morning he'll be back at my set doing a touch-up.

oz

What were your "3 extra tweaks?" Also, I know you are happy with the results, but was it worth 20% of the total TV price?

sp44again

How long is he here for and how much advance notice does he need?

RickNeff

QuoteHow long is he here for and how much advance notice does he need?

He's long gone by now.  I was his last stop in the tour.

I posted quite a while back about his stop here in Milwaukee.  See the following thread here: http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3402

The good news is that you can expect him to be back next year.

RickNeff

And to give PaulS credit, he started the thread. :)

Paul S.

QuoteOriginally posted by oz
What were your "3 extra tweaks?" Also, I know you are happy with the results, but was it worth 20% of the total TV price?

Duvedrape, mechanical, and electrostatic focus. And yes, it was worth it- not just the amount of info I learned but just hanging out with him was awesome. I just wish I didnt hafta drive him to the hotel that late or we coulda drank more afterwards!