• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DVD player recommendations for my new TV?

Started by MathWiz579, Saturday May 08, 2004, 12:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MathWiz579

I know I'm letting gparris down by posting before getting the DVD player ;), but I have a very simple question. My TV has 4 viewing modes: normal, zoom, wide zoom, and full. Which mode is appropriate for DVD viewing? I actually pulled out my old Samsung player that at least recognizes 16:9 TVs, but when I put the TV on "normal" there are still grey bars on the sides although the middle of the TV is almost void of black bars, and then when I use "full", it fills out the rest of the screen. I just want to make sure that I'm not artifically stretching a good image from the DVD player and there isn't some setting that I haven't found that should be used for DVDs. The manual unfortunately is not clear on this.

Thanks!

Paul S.

Full.

Make sure to set the DVD player up so that it outputs 16:9.

MathWiz579

All I can say is... WOW! Picked up the DVD-910 and just had time to watch the first 10 minutes of Matrix Reloaded and Finding Nemo, in both I notice details that I did not see before. The color is also so much more vivid and clear. The picture is simply, crisp.

Paul S.

QuoteOriginally posted by MathWiz579
All I can say is... WOW! Picked up the DVD-910 and just had time to watch the first 10 minutes of Matrix Reloaded and Finding Nemo, in both I notice details that I did not see before. The color is also so much more vivid and clear. The picture is simply, crisp.

:guitar:

The only thing I don't like about it is that my Sony would remember the spot on a DVD even after you removed it (up to 5).

gparris

Now you know why some folks buy a HDTV...DVDs are great, especially when you buy a decent player.:)
(Your fiance will know, too..now..put one of her favourite DVDs for play unless one of those you mentioned, were.)

Now, tell me you set it to progressive scan and used decent component cables, I'll bet you did...:D

Now all you need to do is get that Directv HD STB upgrade!:cool:

MathWiz579

I did use a quality component cable from Monster. I usually don't buy Monster cables because I think they are overpriced, however (1) it was all that was around at the time and I wanted something right away and (2) since I now have the great TV and a great DVD player, I wanted a great cable as well.

Yes, I made sure that the player was set to progressive and the TV was set to progressive. Awesome picture.

I've also performed some tweaks on my TV that were found on AVS and http://mvgrafx.dyn.ca/~vmark/KPxxWS500.html (everything where you don't have to open up the TV itself), and these tweaks have really softened up the picture to make most everything quite watchable. THe big problem we had was anytime any text was on the screen it would have very jagged edges, but now with the softer image, most text looks just a hair out of focus (if I'm being really picky), but SO much better than having jagged edges.

I found good instructions online on how to remove the glare screen for this TV, which I am also considering doing sometime in the future, but I'm wondering how you clean the screen when you don't have that protective layer on it. Anyone have experience with removing the outer screen to prevent glare and improve quality?

I'm going to call Ameritech today to get a basic phone line installed ASAP and when I know the time Ameritech will be here, I will call D*, get into their rentention dept and see about the $49 deal for Tivo and the $99 deal for HD service. I'll post back with how everything went. Hopefully it won't be a big deal that I have only been a D* customer for a little under a year. :)

Thanks again to all for the help!

StarvingForHDTV

Starving,

Do you happen to know of a place where I can find the RP82? They were discontinued last year by Panasonic.

Maybe Ebay?  I don't know.  

Good luck.

Paul S.

I've also performed some tweaks on my TV that were found on AVS and http://mvgrafx.dyn.ca/~vmark/KPxxWS500.html (everything where you don't have to open up the TV itself), and these tweaks have really softened up the picture to make most everything quite watchable. THe big problem we had was anytime any text was on the screen it would have very jagged edges, but now with the softer image, most text looks just a hair out of focus (if I'm being really picky), but SO much better than having jagged edges.

Those tweaks are ok at best. Join thehometheaterspot.com and pay $25 for a membership and get the real tweaks.

MathWiz579

Paul S.,

So I assume that the tweaks found there (once I pay the $25) will show a significant difference in my TV watching experience?

If that is true that would rock! :rock:

P.S. - Just covering the bases on AVS Forum ;)

Paul S.

Paul S.,

So I assume that the tweaks found there (once I pay the $25) will show a significant difference in my TV watching experience?

If that is true that would rock! :rock:

P.S. - Just covering the bases on AVS Forum ;)

If you have a 500 or 510, then yes, it did for me!

MathWiz579

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul S.
Those tweaks are ok at best. Join thehometheaterspot.com and pay $25 for a membership and get the real tweaks.

Paul S.,
I recently joined witha paid subscription to hometheaterspot... I am actually a bit disappointed in what was in the Sony Tweaks forum... On the main forum index page it says there should be 64 threads, but when I click on the forum I only see 25, with the "next page" button disabled. Further, besides the tweaks I had already performed from that other webpage, the only tweaks I see deal with convergance. Is that really all there is?

Paul S.

Paul S.,
I recently joined witha paid subscription to hometheaterspot... I am actually a bit disappointed in what was in the Sony Tweaks forum... On the main forum index page it says there should be 64 threads, but when I click on the forum I only see 25, with the "next page" button disabled. Further, besides the tweaks I had already performed from that other webpage, the only tweaks I see deal with convergance. Is that really all there is?

Search there for 'the brother of the mother of all tweaks' thread. All tweaks for the 500 series work for the 510. Also, while you're there in tweaks, hit 'show all threads'.

As for your PM, the file will not fit into email as it is 22.7MB. you would hafta reach me on AIM- BlackBeardsSaint

MathWiz579

Paul,

Thank you so much! Just went through that thread (just for "Movie" mode for now which is what I will use just for the standard DirecTV signal), and it has helped picture quality quite a bit.

Haven't tried it for Pro mode yet, which I plan on using for DVD's and HD (eventually). Watching Matrix Reloaded and pausing and switching between my updated Movie mode and Pro mode (with the only change being a switch to "warm" instead of "neutral"), Pro mode just seems crisper overall without any tweaks. I'll see how I like everything after using both modes for awhile.

I'll catch ya on AIM sometime, thanks again for all your help! I hope to fix convergence soon, once I have some more time.

Paul S.

I've only been tweaking since last December, but I've learned much. I'm by no means an expert, but I Know WTF I'm talkin about :p  Happy tweaking!