• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New Home

Started by R1CK, Saturday Mar 06, 2004, 11:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R1CK

I am in my new home in 6 days. And in 9 days I will have ESPN HD. I have decided to give DISH Network a chance,No equipment to buy and no contract, what the heck.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/r1ckeyc

Matt Heebner

Very nice but.....where is the Home Theater going to go ??;)  Enjoy the new home !

Matt

R1CK

I have a 34" widescreen going in the living room, which is wired for speakers already. The basement has some work to be done.65" is going to be down there.

GADGET71

RICK-

Congrats on the new place, I chatted with you awhile back about antenna's.  I am in Jefferson.  I recently took back another antenna, the larger Phillips Mant 901 or 902. Supposed to be rated for 60 miles UHF.  I don't think so.  I could not get the Madison channels any better.  I am trying to get my signal strength as high as possible.  I was able to get more Milwaukee stations though with it.  I ordered a Channel Master 4228, this will be my next try. I may lose signal strength on Fox but hopefully the others will improve.  IF not I will probably stick with my smaller Phillips Mant 900, purchased at Menards for $30.  Good luck with Dish, I almost went that route, but could not convince the wife to make the change. I also switched out my cable HD box with charter until they get more channels.

Gadget71
Phillips Mant900 OTA Antenna
Winegard 8700 preamp
Charter Cable(non HD)
________
magic flight launch box review

uplinkguy

Hey Gadget, do you live in the city of Jefferson?   Signal strengths should be very good there for the Madison stations.  Do you have something blocking your antenna to the immediate west?

When I worked at WMTV years ago, I could do microwave live shots back from Jefferson easily.  Fort Atkinson sits a little lower and I would have issues.

Good news for at least me with Charter.  In Madison/Middleton and maybe other areas, they just added ESPN HD.  Just in time for a bunch of conference championships.  (Including the Big 10)

happy viewing,
andy

GADGET71

Uplinkguy-

I do live in the city of Jefferson now(since november).  I have been experimenting with various antennas, I keep trying to improve my signal strenght.  I get about 8 - 9 bars on the Samsung T151 which is stable enough to watch.  My recent purchase(yesterday) was the CM 4228.  I got it up last night, however did not get any channels. I think my preamp might be interfering with this antenna.  It seems I read somewhere that they screw things up with this antenna, my mistake, I wanted to have my cake and eat it too.  Tonight I am going to remove the preamp and try the antenna with RG6 only, with no splits.  I think I should do ok?  Any help you could provide would be great.  As far as cable goes I noticed my guide shows ESPNHD.  I just switched from the HD box to the standard digital to cut some costs as I was not watching HDnet or Hdnet movies, and in Jefferson the networks have not reached an agreement with charter as to what they are going to carry, Milwaukee or Madison?
So until they get things staightened out here I am going to stay with Digital only and upgrade later.  I watch most shows now via antenna anyway.  I HAVE to get my antenna fixed for tonight, CSI, Without a Trace, two of my favs.

Gadget 71
________
Dodge C Series specifications

R1CK

OOPS

R1CK

O.K. here is the New Home HDTV report: Just added dish network and receive ESPNHD,HDNET,HDNET Movies,DiscoveryHD.Then installed my old rooftop antenna in my attic and pointed it towards madison, received PBS,ABC,CBS,FOX,NBC.Everything was working great during the day until late evening when ABC & PBS were not coming in all the time???? Have to check antenna tomorrow.Preamp may be needed. On the note of the samsung STB, When I had it I only needed 2 or 3 bars to receive channels?Do you maybe have too strong of signal?I love being in the new home so far.I will keep you up to date as to what happens.:)

GADGET71

Rick-

I only get 2 - 4 bars on my samsung with cbs, nbc and get more like 7-8 bars with pbs(madison) and abc, and with fox I get it occassionally 2 bars with my new CM4228(nopreamp)  

I was getting  most all channels with 7 - 9 bars with my menards $30 antenna and winegard 8700 preamp?

I will probably switch back.  I even tried the larger version of my menards antenna, and got Milwaukee channels stronger but not Madison.

Gadget71
________
Jeep-Eagle history

R1CK

Preamp installed to day and walaaah, everything is all good, with 75 to 90 percent signal on all locals. Didn't even have to worry about making my roof an eyesore.now i have 11  Channels in HD:
ESPNHD,DiscoveryHD,HDNet movies,HDNet,ABC,PBS,CBS,NBC,FOX,UPN

Kevin Arnold

Except Fox 47/11 isn't in HD yet. I was hoping that the Fox upgrade program would allow them to finally send out something other than an upconverted picture. I hope they are finally up and running by NFL football season.
Kevin Arnold

GADGET71

Rick-

What kind of antenna did you put in the attic?   I could not get
anything from mine.  I put my old menards special back to work, and am back to 8 - 9 bars on the signal strength, however cbs out of madison is tricky, I have to have the antenna pointed right a little differently than the other madison stations otherwise I get pixelation even with 8 bars.  What kind of preamp did you use?   I am hanging on to me CM4228 right now until I know for a fact that something is not screwed up in my setup.  I thought maybe mounting height was a problem but since you have yours in the attic I can't see how. Later.

GADGET71
________
Suzuki RG250 Gamma specifications

R1CK

My problems were with NBC & PBS. I didnt try milwaukee channels at all.It is so lodged in my attic the rotor wouldnt help me anymore,Gadget, need a rotor? i cant use mine anymore, i would be willing to sell.

R1CK

QuoteOriginally posted by GADGET71
Rick-

What kind of antenna did you put in the attic?  

Radio Shack, dont know model#,but the biggest one they had.