• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Best Buy Simplifies High Definition For Consumers; HD Bundles Created to Meet Variety

Started by Gregg Lengling, Friday Feb 06, 2004, 01:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

Best Buy, the nation's leading specialty retailer of digital technology and entertainment products and services, today launched five new High Definition (HD) bundles for customers to choose from. The new offerings will help take the confusion out of purchasing HD packages and match the consumer's need with the best service solution.

"Our customers are embracing HD technology, but until now, there hasn't been an easy way for them to find an entire package - TV and service - that fits their unique needs," said Bill Cody, vice president of home theater for Best Buy. "We've created customer-friendly bundles that will enable more people to experience and enjoy the true benefits of HD."

Customers who currently own, or are buying a high definition television can easily add one of the bundles to experience HD in the comfort of their own living rooms. The following HD bundle product and service packages will be available starting February 8 in all Best Buy stores in the United States.

-- Diamond Package - $899.99

-- For customers starting from scratch who want all the HD they can get for the best possible viewing experience.

-- This customer may have DIRECTV but does NOT have a special HD receiver required for HD viewing, cable, or off-air content.

-- Includes DIRECTV HD receiver, 20-inch TripleSat dish, off-air antenna and professional installation.

-- Platinum Package - $799.99

-- For customers who want access to all the available local and satellite HD options to enhance their viewing experience.

-- This customer either has DIRECTV, but who wants both off-air and DIRECTV HD content.

-- Includes DIRECTV HD receiver, off-air antenna and professional installation.

-- Gold Package - $699.99

-- For customers who want HD movies and sports from DIRECTV.

-- This customer either has DIRECTV or wants DIRECTV content, but does not want off-air HD content.

-- Includes DIRECTV HD receiver, 20-inch TripleSat dish and professional installation.

-- Silver Package - $599.99

-- For customers who want their local, or free, HD broadcast channels.

-- This customer has either DIRECTV or Digital Cable, and seeks local HD content.

-- Includes HD receiver, off-air antenna and professional installation.

-- Bronze Package - $499.99

-- For those customers who are already enjoying HD and want to access additional HD content and have the option of getting all DIRECTV channels offered in HD.

-- This customer has DIRECTV and an HD receiver but needs an HD dish and antenna.

-- Includes 20-inch TripleSat dish and install, off-air antenna and professional installation.

The packages will be available in stores through February 28, 2004.

About Best Buy Stores

Best Buy Stores, owned and operated by Minneapolis-based Best Buy Co., Inc., is the nation's leading specialty retailer of technology and entertainment products and services. Best Buy was founded in St. Paul, Minn. in 1966. Best Buy Stores reach an estimated 300 million consumers per year through more than 600 retail stores in 48 states and online at BestBuy.com. For more information about Best Buy, visit the virtual pressroom at http://communications.bestbuy.com/pressroom/.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

smack

$$$$$  Seems kind of pricey  $$$$$

But you are getting the a little convenience.  I wonder if they will give you a choice of a few different receivers or just give you one.  If it would be the HD tivo..........they would have themselves a customer.

IMHO -  I think they made the packages deals to take the confusion away from their salespeople so they don't have to know anything about HD other than point to the sign and say pick one!

smack

mhz40

Am I reading this info-mercial right?  700 beans to upgrade your existing Direct-SD reception capability to HD?  They may have simplified HD for the consumer, but it ain't cheap.
Sheesh...  I'm sorry, I just don't see the big savings vs cable in this dish stuff, but that's another topic for another forum.

sp44again

700 beans if you are an idiot or you call up Directv and get the same thing for $99. I don't see that being expensive.

borghe

That is ridiculous on best buy's part... sp44again is correct. If you are a decent DirecTV customer ($40 worth of programming for the last two years and no late bills) you can get the same thing for $99. Even in the rare instance you don't qualify for that DirecTV will still sell you the same thing for $399.

I'm sorry but Best Buy is just scamming people.. It is simplified, I'll give them that, but mhz40 is right in that it probably won't send a whole ton of business DirecTV's way... but for just cable vs satellite costs, there are many ways to do it vastly cheaper...