• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

NCAA Hoops & CH 58

Started by Sparkman87, Thursday Mar 11, 2004, 02:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrtanner

The bandwidth for the multicast comes from not using it for HD.  Four SD or one HD - you don't get both.

agrundman

QuoteOriginally posted by Mrtanner
The bandwidth for the multicast comes from not using it for HD.  Four SD or one HD - you don't get both.

Well apparently they do in Raleigh.

Sparkman87

QuoteOriginally posted by agrundman
Well apparently they do in Raleigh.

Raleigh is only getting SD on the multicast, no OTA HD.  It looks like from that article that they are passing on the HD feed to Time Warner there, but not putting it OTA.  Unless you have a local team in HD (like we do in Chicago with UIC), I would think that they have found a pretty good solution in Raleigh.

JimHall

Dear DTV Viewers;

In regards to the question on how WRAL may be showing both multicast games and HD NCAA games on cable, (I am not sure they really are doing both per the article, seemed a little vague) but not over-the-air, is likely due to the fact that they may have a fiber feed from the station to the cable operator and the cable operator is allowing the station additional bandwidth beyond the 19.2 stream.

For our station and TWC, at this time we are working towards a fiber feed in the future that may allow for such an event to occur if practical, but it will not be completed by the time the NCAA telecasts begin this year.

Jim Hall
General Manager
WDJT
WMLW
WYTU

agrundman

Thanks for the information, Jim.  The ability to watch any game on TWC will certainly be nice.  Hopefully, next year we can get the best of both worlds with the multi-cast and HD coverage.

Keep up the good work CBS.

sp44again

FYI

If you sign up for the March Madness package on Directv you get 8 games this weekend in HD!

gb4fan92

So then what is the HD NCAA Tournament schedule for TWC??

Sparkman87

QuoteOriginally posted by gb4fan92
So then what is the HD NCAA Tournament schedule for TWC??

It sounds to me like NONE.

agrotto

I think once the "simultaneous" games are done (Elite 8)??? Then we will return to HD content as offered by CBS.

Sparkman87

Just tried turning the antenna and can't get CBS 58, no sinal on digital ch 46.

FYI - here's what Milwaukee I can get.
4,10,12,18,24,36,& 55.  All seemed to come in pretty well.

I do get CBS NY & LA on DISH, I'll get a good variety of the games, plus will get the HD games from Chicago tomorrow.

summerfun

TWC is already broadcasting the ch 58 multicast channels on 581,582,583,584. They are currently running NCAA playoff trivia questions and game schedules.

tbarney

What is the schedule for the 581-584 channels on TWC?  I just looked at them now (6:51pm central) and they are all black.  I know that there are multiple games on right now....  am I not getting the channels, or is CBS just not multicasting right now?

summerfun

QuoteOriginally posted by tbarney
What is the schedule for the 581-584 channels on TWC?  I just looked at them now (6:51pm central) and they are all black.  I know that there are multiple games on right now....  am I not getting the channels, or is CBS just not multicasting right now?

They were on the air and playing games on my system.