• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

X-box or PS/2 on HDTV

Started by summerfun, Saturday Jan 31, 2004, 12:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

summerfun

Anybody every hooked up an x-box or ps2 to their HDTV?

Is it worth the money for the added component cables?

I see where you can go to your surround sound system with Dolby digital as well with x-box. I don't know about PS/2.

It appears that some x-box games say HDTV and some say HDTV 480p and some say HDTV 720p, but most don't say anything.

PS/2 sells a component cable, but does not ever say anything about HDTV.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried it and what kind of quality improvement did you see.

X-box website is very vague and PS/2 website just doesn't say anything on the matter.

brewtownska

From what I know, PS2 doesn't do any HD.  I think some of the games can do 480p, but that's as good as it gets, even with component cables.  The Xbox can do HD (I know 1080i is supported, but not sure about 720p).  Some games are out for both systems, but are in HD for Xbox (SSX 3 is one of them).  I only own a PS2, and don't even bother using component cables because there are only a few games that even bother with progressive scan.  If Microsoft does reduce the Xbox price down to $129 like rumored, I may buy one up just for the HD abilities.  And I'd probably trade in my SSX3 on PS2 to get the Xbox version.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

The Law

I have an Xbox and use it on HDTV when I can.  In the setup screen (fire it up w/out a game in it) you can choose between aspect ratios as well as resolution (480p, 720p, 1080i).  I compared the Matrix games on the settings and was very impressed.  Ther detail is very good and you definately get more of the game 16:9.

Also, there is a separate cable to buy that plugs into an output on the component cable connector to the Xbox that brings Surround sound to life - 5.1 !!!

I thoroughly recommend buying the cables and checking it out.  Make sure you match the resolution on the TV (unless it autodetects) to the Xbox for maximum pleasure.

Hope this helps

Mrtanner

You need to get the $19 HD pack for the X-Box.  (Unless you're looking to get rid of any extra $40 - then you can get the Monster cable HD adapter.)   This gives you component output and optical 5.1.  The newer games indicate on the back if they support 16x9 or 480p, 720p, or 1080i.  The games that don't say anything, probably don't support any of the above.

You can check this site to see which XBox games support HD:
http://www.hdtvpub.com/productdb/games/index.cfm

summerfun

Thanks for all the great info. If I do hook up the component cables for the HD games, do I have to unhook them and go back to the regular cables for non HD games or will they play through the same cable, just not HD resolution?

Also, if I can leave them on the component cables, are the non HD games improved at all just because of the better connection?

Joseph S

Quotedo I have to unhook them and go back to the regular cables for non HD games or will they play through the same cable, just not HD resolution?

You don't have to for the PS2 and Gamecube 480P games.

JoeK

I have not seen any XBOX games that are not at least 480p, so component input wiil improve them all.  The improvement with using component and digital audio is definitly worth it.  The 5.1 sound and extra pictures sharpness brings gaming to another level.

This is probably part of the reason for (Wall Street Journal article this last week) all the adult gaming addicts.

The Law

All games on Xbox can be played using those cables.

Tarzdan

If you have a component input available on your TV its well worth the $19.00 bucks for the HDTV converter.  It can be found at any store that sells the XBOX. Once installed there is no reason you should have to toggle cables. If needed, you can change the configuration on the XBOX setup screen.

I was playing ESPN Basketball and had a friend walk in- he thought for moment it was a televised NBA game.  Recently for my B-day I received 'The House of the Dead 3' and a couple of Mat Catz lightguns. It was so creepy I turned around to shot the cat a couple of times .  :guns:

summerfun

Well I bought the X-box converter and to my surprise the component cables were included. On the Microsoft web site, it just shows the converter, no cables. I guess life does give us lemonade sometimes.

Does anybody know if the DVD player on the X-box is progressive scan? If it is, I can get rid of my progressive scan DVD player and open up an HD port on the TV.

Mrtanner

I haven't tried it personally, but everything I've heard and read from trusted sources is that it is interlaced and not worthy of an HD setup.

picopir8

QuoteOriginally posted by Mrtanner
I haven't tried it personally, but everything I've heard and read from trusted sources is that it is interlaced and not worthy of an HD setup.

But you can hack the xbox to make it into a halfway decent progressive scan player.  There is a known hack to default the dashboard to progressive scan, when you do that, the DVD player is also progressive scan.  Also, IIRC, the xbox media center (open source development which you need to have a hacked xbox in order to use it) is progressive scan as well.  Go to http://www.xbox-scene.com for more info.  Not to mention you can stream internet radio, play movies/music stored locally or anywhere on your LAN.

NOTE: Hacking an xbox may be illegal under the DMCA but as long as you are not violating copyright law (copying games), you probably dont have to worry about getting in trouble.