• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WTAS shopping channel, and WJJA questions

Started by PaulKTF, Monday Jan 26, 2004, 07:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulKTF

Hi group,

I notice that on my little UHF TV I get exactly one station that isn't currently (or going to be...) carried by Time Warner Milwaukee. The station is Channel 43 "WTAS" and it's called "America's Store".

My question is- What is the point of having this channel in operation seeing as how it's not carried on cable, and (I assume) very few people use UHF anymore? :confused:  

Along those same lines, Channel 41 (WJJA) seems to mostly air yet another shopping network. I remember that years and years ago WJJA used to air "real" shows (back in 1995). Why do they bother with a TV station when they only show Shop At Home Network and little else? I sure wish they'd at least pick up some old public domain TV shows and movies....
-Paul

Kevin Arnold

Ch. 43 has an interesting history.  It was started by John Kompas and his group back in the early 90's.  He publishes a low power tv newsletter out of Milwaukee.  His original plan was to make that station just like the stations of the 50's, with lots of local programming, kids programming, talk shows and the like. When they first started they even had local Waukesha County news. The format was never successful and the station was taken over by the owners of the tower they had their antenna on.  They found that they could lease the station to the shopping network and make a small profit that way. So that continues to this day.
Kevin Arnold

PaulKTF

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin Arnold
Ch. 43 has an interesting history.  It was started by John Kompas and his group back in the early 90's.  He publishes a low power tv newsletter out of Milwaukee.  His original plan was to make that station just like the stations of the 50's, with lots of local programming, kids programming, talk shows and the like. When they first started they even had local Waukesha County news. The format was never successful and the station was taken over by the owners of the tower they had their antenna on.  They found that they could lease the station to the shopping network and make a small profit that way. So that continues to this day.

Thanks for the history, Kevin. :)
-Paul

John L

I guess some people rather sit home and shop on TV.  Not I, nor anyone else I know do that.  I rather goto the mall and shop.  We get enough commercials on TV the way it is.  Personally I think Shopping Channels are a waste of airwaves.  But obviously the owners on the TV station receive a profit from the shopping Network to carry their programs.

I remember WTAS, ch. 43 Waukesha when they carried syndicated reruns like "Hazel", and even local men's baseball and softball leagues.  When they did not air local spots they were airing the programs offered by America 1 TV which I believe is still on the air this day.  I used to get America 1 TV from the satellite dish, but since then they've moved and I haven't gotten around to figuring out what satellite they are on.

-John L.