• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Time Warner HD update (3/12/02)

Started by SugarRay, Tuesday Mar 12, 2002, 10:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SugarRay

Just got off the phone with a guy named Brian at TW office. (I had to call
the office number because the customer service person could not help me -
See TWC I can't take it any more post).  According to this guy, If you have
a HDTV ready set, you can subscribe to Digital Cable and request an HDTV
receiver from them to get true HD pictures.  However, he said that there are
some problems. 1 - TW was not aware that there are 2 types of HDTV's HDTV
capable and HD ready - TW assumed that all HDTV's were HD ready, thus not
needing a HD Tuner (big mistake).  So, he said that some people are having
problems with TW's HD box.  He also mentioned that sometime in July, TW will
be redoing their digital cable and adding programs and having new boxes.

Can anybody who is using this verify for me?  I guess I don't want to go buy
and $500 HD tuner if TWC is going to have one available in a few month.

PS - Great site!!!!!!!!!!

RickNeff

Exactly what do you want verified?  Yes, I'm using the TWC SA2000HD cable box.  I, personally, haven't had any problems with it.  Others here have complained about the poor quality of the non-HD channels, however.

But, the box doesn't have an OTA tuner so you'll either need to provide one of your own or live with the limited selection of PBS HD (which is a "demo" channel which also airs PBS HD programming when scheduled), HBO HD, and Showtime HD (which you need to be subscribed to.)

As far as their plans, I wouldn't know.  I also don't put much faith into anything I hear via the phone from TWC either.  Redoing the digital lineup doesn't guarantee any additional HD content.  Rather, that's up to the agreements between TWC and the local channels to get broadcasts carried.

------------------
Richard Neff
Proud Toshiba 56x81 owner!

SteveMiller

What is this "HDTV Capable" you are talking about??? A set is an HDTV or a HDTV Ready set...

And with the execeptions of RCA HDTVs that have DirecTV built into them, all other tunners built into sets are Terrestrial for OTA signals...  

So even if you got, lets say for example, the SONY 57" XBR HDTV, it has a tuner to pick up OTA, but you still need a STB for DirecTV HD or Cable HD...

And unless you have gotten or are getting a TV that is a set with a built in Terrestrial tunner, you will need to buy $500 box to get NBC, CBS and all other locals in HD, the TW box only tunes in HBO, Showtime, and a Demo channel, it has no OTA reception...

- Steve

SugarRay

Thanks Richard! Exactly what I was looking for.