• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Who's next?

Started by SteveClemetson, Saturday Mar 09, 2002, 03:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveClemetson

Now that we have CBS58 on HD , who's going to be next?  It strikes me from the posts I've read that Jim Hall from 58 is a damn fine fella and a supporter of HDTV (they kinda go together, don't ya think?).  Does this group have any similar contacts at the local Fox or ABC affiliates who can give us some idea of when they will be up and running?

I realize that Fox doesn't offer true HD, but their 480P widescreen format would sure be better than what I'm getting through Warner Cable -- and I'd like to have that format well before the season finales on Fox (most notably "24" and "X-Files").

Tom Snyder

I don't beleive that anyone else in Milwaukee has filed for a waiver, both 12 and 6 have gone on record via email that they'll be in compliance with the deadline, and May isn't that far away...

I betcha we'll see both of them testing the last week of April...

Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

mcq

Isn't May a sweeps month!?

Tom Snyder

Yes it is... and that does bring up an interesting question. NBC did the HD Olympics on a one day delay on their digital feed because their HD watchers didn't count toward their "official" ratings, and they didn't want to lose any of their viewers to an unmeasured/uncounted channel.

I wonder if the same thing will apply locally, i.e. if the ratings will count 4 and 28 as separate channels... If so, is it of any value for the locals to be on the air in digital by May, or is it actually a negative?

[This message has been edited by Tom Snyder (edited 03-13-2002).]
Tom Snyder

oflaherty

That's a great question. I better find out the answer.
In the mean time, according to the Nielson Web site:

How does Nielsen Media Research plan to measure digital television?

Nielsen Media Research is in the process of testing a new metering system capable of identifying analog and digital transmission. This system relies on audio and video coding technologies. We are conducting a test of this new meter in the Northeast, and we plan to roll out this technology as the digital environment unfolds.

Tom Snyder

I'm thinking that optimally, they'd make BOTH count where the programming content is simulcast but still be able to be broken out. That way the station has aggregate numbers for ratings bragging rights, but can still break out the two for advertsiers who would want to be on both, or would want one or the other.

Just like a demographic breakout, but with the ability for adverstiers to target the HD demo vs the Non-HD demo...
Tom Snyder