• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

The dangerous road we call Highway 41

Started by Dan the Man, Tuesday Dec 30, 2003, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan the Man

I know this was covered in the JS, but I will bring it up again. Highway 41 should have a barrier cable installed in the median. Here's my reasons.....

Back in 1995, an engineer where I work was on his way into work in the AM. He was southbound on 41 and it was icy out when a semi truck lost control and crossed into the southbound lane. He was hit head on and was killed instantly.

A few years later, another engineer where I work was headed north on 41 near Oshkosh. A southbound car crossed into the northbound lane and hit him. The seat belt and the air bag saved his life.

There was also the big van accident on 41 a few years when 5 or 6 guys were killed. I knew (not well) 2 of those guys that were killed. I think it was the same thing. Vehicle crossing over the median and hit them head on

About 2 years ago, I was driving north on 41 near the 41/45 split. A huge buck ran across the road from west to east. A pick-up truck heading southbound hit the brakes. It was icy and he locked up and started to slide across the median toward me. At this spot, there is a small cable barrier guard. It caught his truck and stopped him from crossing into the northbound lane. Without this cable stopping him, I likely would have hit him head on

Bottom line, this road needs a barrier BEFORE someone else dies. No need to "study" it, like the politicians want to do. Cost it, design it, bid it and BUILD IT!!!!

OK, I'll get off my soap box now.