• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

What happens to Non HD channels??

Started by picopir8, Thursday Dec 25, 2003, 03:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

picopir8

Does anyone know what the plans are for CH 7, 41, and 49 in the comming years?  Are these guys just going to get shut down when analog goes bye bye?

I never carred much for CH7 back when it was a "dial-a-video" channel because all that was shown were about 4 rap songs over and over and over.  But when I got my HD tuner card, I came across it again and noticed that its M2.  For someone who gave up satellite/cable, I really like the idea of getting a free "music" channel.  And now I would be verry disapointed to see it go away.  In fact I would love to see other independent channels pop up and simply broadcast cable channels.  I wonder how viable that would be.  Probably a money pit.  Though if CH7 can broadcast M2, perhaps there is hope for someone to broadcast free OTA DiscoveryHD....  I wont hold my breath.

John L

Ch. 41 is already carried by WDJT's digital signal as well as ch. 63.  I assume they will continue carrying in multi-programming mode while CBS58 will also be HD, all this I'm sure will continue even when ch. 41 and 63 analog are shut down.

I believe WJJA-TV has applied for a CP for Digital, but it is late and well past the deadline, so I'd be surprised if the FCC will accept their CP.

Don't know about ch. 7.  Generally LPTVs don't have the priviledges like a full time station has.  I assume most LPTVs will be shut down and maybe they will offer a LP digital.  But as far as I'm concern ch. 41 and 63 both owned by CBS58 will continue as part of CBS58's multi-programming set up.

Also I believe there will no longer be any TV stations, including digital past ch. 50. Therefore CBS58 will retain its digital broadcasts on ch. 46, and WVTV will probably move their digital signal to ch. 18 once after they shut off the analog.

-John L.

techguy1975

QuoteOriginally posted by picopir8
In fact I would love to see other independent channels pop up and simply broadcast cable channels.  I wonder how viable that would be.  Probably a money pit.  Though if CH7 can broadcast M2, perhaps there is hope for someone to broadcast free OTA DiscoveryHD....  I wont hold my breath.

The only reason Ch. 7 got M2, was because MTV Networks bought out The Box, and stuck their programing on it, in place of the Dial a Video..   If I remember correctly, all the videos seen on The Box were from the local system in Milwaukee..  All the videos were stored digitally and served up upon request..   Sounded like  a pretty neat system..

picopir8

Ahh, just noticed that 41 is present.  I have not updated my channel listing in some time.  I was only getting 1-1.  I refreshed my listing and now I get 1-1 through 1-6.  I think 41 was on 1-2 or 1-3.

It kinda sucks that 7 will probably disappear, though....

Dick Nitelinger

Well, it looks as if KM Communications has WMKE-CA (ch. 7) up for sale. See:

http://www.thelptvstore.com/lptv.html

Note the asking price.

- Dick

http://www.milwaukee-horror-hosts.com

John L

I used to get WMKE-CA.  I am unable to receive it here in Muskego.  I personally think WMVS-DT wiped out the LPTV on ch. 7 for me.

-John L.

picopir8

Ouch!!! Just looking at the other prices they 1) are crazy 2) just have it listed so that they can entertain offers.  Perhaps if I offer $1, they will counter at a reasonable offer...