• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Video gamers and projection TV

Started by Paul S., Wednesday Dec 10, 2003, 04:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul S.

How many of you play video games on your projection TV? I know there is the whole static image issue, but how long do you normally play yours on it?

Matt Heebner

Some friends of mine and I completed a 7 hour marathon session of Halo and Madden 2004 on Saturday and I have not seen any evidence of burn in.
Either calibrate your TV using Avia or Digital Video Essentials and set your contrast low OR have a professional calibration done and you shouldn't have a problem. I worried and stressed majorly about burn in on my TV....even to the point of obsession. Then one day I figured...Screw this...I am not even enjoying having a big screen TV the way I am stressing over it. Now I don't worry at all. Took a while to change my attitude about it, but it was well worth the change. Now I watch what ever aspect ratio I wanna watch, play video games for as long as I want to on it, watch stations with high contrast logo's on it and I have YET to see any kind of burn in at all !!!!!

Now I am not saying that this won't happen with you, but if you calibrate the settings to the correct levels, the chance of burn in much minimized.

Matt

Paul S.

Great! Where can I find info on calibration techniqes?

Matt Heebner

I would do a goole search for a wide array of topices...

here is a good place to go and learn:

Calibration info

Also here for specific info on Toshiba's:

Home Theater Spot

Scroll down to the Toshiba section.

Matt

Paul S.

Thanks Matt! Too bad it's more stuff I hafta throw $ at :mad:

Matt Heebner

Don't look at it like that. Instead think of it as 'Maximizing your investment'.

Since I consider this my hobby, I actually like throwing money into this stuff. It's amazing how much information and knowlege you pick up.:D :D

Matt

The Law

Since carpal tunnel has ended my Quake career (I am the LAW!!!) hehe, i'm now relegated to X-box - easier on the wrists.

I play every now and then on the big screen but only if it's a game that outputs HD.  Games that don't support HD I play on my old 36" tube.  My kids play for hours on that and i've never seen any burn in.  This tv my wife and I got ourselves as a wedding prezzie 12 years ago and I've used it to play sega genesis, playstation and now xbox and have no burn in whatsoever.

Personally, I think burn in is overrated.  If you play the same game for 8 hours a day on the big screen and never anything else -you'll prolly see damage - but if yer doing HD proggies one day, SD the next, a couple hours of a game here, something else the next - no worries!

I sometimes turn my mits on to "iris" sometimes turn it of.  Sometimes do format as standard/zoom/stretched - sometimes I do 4:3.  If figure - if I mix it up enough I'll be fine - and I have been.

Don't stress it - play the game - life will be fine.

The Law

45 mins sound like a good idea.  Games can (and should!!!) be played on a big 'ol tv for all the ovbious reasons.  Here's what can help:

1)  Turn down contrast (important).
2)  If the game has a static image (like a cnn "bug" or ticker) see if you can disable it.  many games have a HUD (heads up display) setting that can remove some of the screen images
3)  Play a variety of games to mix it up (make sure the static bits are in different places)
4)  Take occassional breaks and put on a beautiful HD show (PBS-HD - boring - but great pics and sound) between games.
5)  Play a game or two with your kid! - That way you can play split screen and reduce the chances.
6)  Mix your programming - i.e. - don't run a stock ticker all day.
7)  If your watching non-hd channels - don't watch all the shows with the black bars on the side - as this can burn in also - over many hours. Use stretch/zoom/etc...

Do all this - and you'll have no worries.

StarvingForHDTV

QuoteOriginally posted by Matt Heebner
I worried and stressed majorly about burn in on my TV....even to the point of obsession. Then one day I figured...Screw this...I am not even enjoying having a big screen TV the way I am stressing over it. Now I don't worry at all. Took a while to change my attitude about it, but it was well worth the change. Now I watch what ever aspect ratio I wanna watch, play video games for as long as I want to on it, watch stations with high contrast logo's on it and I have YET to see any kind of burn in at all !!!!!

Matt

Great post, and excellent idea.  I'm going to adopt your attitude also.  Thanks for bringing it up.

Starving

Paul S.

picopir8

If you have a DLP set, none of the rules apply.  Zero chance of burn in w/ DLP. Thats the major reason why I went DLP.  Good thing I did, was on the computer (hooked up to my TV) and fell asleep on the couch and didnt wake up till 5AM.  A static image was on the screen for about 6 hrs.

Paul S.

QuoteOriginally posted by picopir8
If you have a DLP set, none of the rules apply.  Zero chance of burn in w/ DLP. Thats the major reason why I went DLP.  Good thing I did, was on the computer (hooked up to my TV) and fell asleep on the couch and didnt wake up till 5AM.  A static image was on the screen for about 6 hrs.

DLP?

Gregg Lengling

Digital Light Processing.  They use the TI chips with mirrors ...microminature technology.  IT's rear projection but because you don't have the big CRTs and mirror assy they are much thinner.  In the area of 8 to 12's deep.  They use an expensive high output lightbulb as the source to reflect off the mirrors and up to the projection screen.  Higher resolution than LCD or Plasma.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Paul S.

Gregg Lengling

About 30% more than rear projection.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}