• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HDTV and xbox

Started by lespaul91, Wednesday Aug 06, 2003, 12:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lespaul91

I've recently aqcuired an xbox.  Anyone have much experience with what xbox games make use of the HDTV technologies it has built in or atleast the widescreen capabilities?  I know the typical demographic that would fit an HDTV videophile probably isn't into console gaming, but I hope to get a few suggestions from the post.  I'm not an avid gamer either but I'd like to see how good some of these games can look.

Thanks
~adam

The Law

Try this link for HDTV Compatible Xbox Games

It will also tell you the aspect ratio as well as resolution supported.  Don't forget to run the setup program for xbox and check the supported resoltions for the TV - it'll pick the best if you check all, I think.

Also, as always, don't but the cheap cables.  Also, if you want the surround sound, get the proper cables - the monster one's I got have a special plug at the interface to the Xbox unit that allows you to plut in the appropriate cable (there is no sound out jack on the xbox)

The difference is remarkable - I played The Matrix in both modes and the difference is astounding

enjoy

lespaul91

Thanks for the reply.  I've already picked up the microsoft advanced a/v pack (hd component out and optical audio)  for very cheap off ebay.   I've played a few games in HD (tony hawk@ 720p and the matrix) but have yet to hookup the audio.  I can't wait for that.  Anyone else have any suggestions as to impressive games?

Also, I have a Sony KV36HS500, which is 4:3.  Should I have any worries about image burn when playing in widescreen?

veyj

In regards to XBOX games in HD, the Law's link has it all.  I've played the Matrix also and the graphics are stunning.  In my opinion you can't have an XBOX without owning Halo.  Graphics, gameplay and sound are incredible.  Connect 3-4 systems via system link and have a 12-16 person Halo slugfest.  

Other games I've played with great graphics and gameplay are Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell,  Wolfenstein, Medal of Honor and Brute Force.  The new Ghost Recon coming out is suppose to take full advantage of DD 5.1 where you'll need to use various audio clues to help you complete the various missions.  

If you have a broadband connection, you might want to look at the games that are XBOX Live.  See The Laws link for those games.

Regarding burn in, make sure the brightness is turned down and don't play for long periods of time.  Most games have some type of static image.  If I'm playing for more than an hour, I'll change the aspect ratio or play something else.

StarvingForHDTV

Nice link, thanks.

Starving

JoeK

Project Gotham is another top game for the auto racing category.  A different level of gaming.  Years ago I liked to play some of the early racing games from Atari and Play Station.  It just amazes me to play the current XBOX games in  5.1 at 200 watts a channel plus subwoofer, at 480p on a 16X9 on a 106 inch HD screen.  Definitely gets the blood pumping.

bkoutsky

The Law - Thanks for the good news on the Monster cables.

Glad to hear you like them!  They do make a Big difference in Picture and Audio.

picopir8

Another good site for HDTV video game listings is HDTV Arcade:
http://www.hdtvarcade.com/xboxlist.htm

I recommend that you check out the "compare-o-matic" within their FAQ section.  It will show you how much better HDTV really is for gaming.  You cant even make out the background until you go to 480p, 1080i is just beautiful.

Matt Heebner

I don't  have  it yet, but I  have  heard that the ESPN Football for XBOX is just simply amazing. 1080i graphics, and much better gameplay than Madden 2004. It's my next game purchase.

Matt

Tarzdan

QuoteOriginally posted by Matt Heebner
I don't  have  it yet, but I  have  heard that the ESPN Football for XBOX is just simply amazing. 1080i graphics, and much better gameplay than Madden 2004. It's my next game purchase.

Matt

I got to play both ESPN Football and ESPN NBA recently at a friends. Incredible is not a strong enough word. Needless to say Xbox, Halo, ESPN are all on my christmas list.  Thanks for the links...

Dan

Todd Wiedemann

QuoteIncredible is not a strong enough word.
Really. I recently won an online sweepstakes ... received some gift certificates. I might have to get an XBox ...

Sheesh. Then I'll have the big three. Not enough component inputs on the Mits !! ;)