• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

SBC DSL vs TWC RoadRunner

Started by SugarRay, Saturday Nov 29, 2003, 09:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SugarRay

I currently have Road Runner (had it for a few years).  Everything works fine and the speed has been great and I don't get any junk mail.  My issues is price.  We receive an educators discount and my monthly Broadband fee is still $33.70.  I see that SBC is offering DSL for $26.95.  I understand that DSL is now up to 1.5 mbs.  I was thinking of making the swtich.

Any advice???

mhz40

I think that price is only for a year, then the price goes up.  Plus their web page says there is a $200 install fee.  If so, based on the savings and install fee, you will break even after 2.4 years.
If e-mail is your thing and you hate RR, it's something to think about.
If you need speed, RR is now up to 3mb/s downstream... nearly twice as fast as the local DSL special.  Upstream, the $26 package is 128kb/s, compared to RR's 384kb/s.
I work for the cable company, so check my numbers out on your own... I could have missed something.

Good luck on your decision.

John L

An educator's fee???  I thought only employees of TWC get discounts or free cable?  I wonder if I can reduce my bill because of the fact I volunteer for City of Muskego in setting up and operating their Public Access Channel 14 and 25?

-John L.

SugarRay

QuoteOriginally posted by mhz40
I think that price is only for a year, then the price goes up.  Plus their web page says there is a $200 install fee.  If so, based on the savings and install fee, you will break even after 2.4 years.
If e-mail is your thing and you hate RR, it's something to think about.
If you need speed, RR is now up to 3mb/s downstream... nearly twice as fast as the local DSL special.  Upstream, the $26 package is 128kb/s, compared to RR's 384kb/s.
I work for the cable company, so check my numbers out on your own... I could have missed something.

Good luck on your decision.

Installation is free if you do it yourself. Plus I am getting a free modem that I will own.  I have no complaints against RR... Everything has been fine since the day I got it.  My only issue lately has been price.  I even asked if RR would give me the current special for new customers of $29.99 for 6 months and they would not.  So I figure that for $81 per year in savings, I was thining about switching.  I also confirmed with 2 people that my rate, even after the year is over, would not go above $26.95 a month. Seemed strange to me, but that is what I was told by SBC by 2 seperate people.

mhz40

Sounds like you have already done your homework and the deal is a no-brainer in your case.  Competition is a great thing, huh?

StarvingForHDTV

$27 a month sounds like a good price.  I'm paying $42 a month for my Road Runner.  Actually it's through Earthlink because buying direct from Time Warner is more  expensive.  

I checked out DSL a while back and SBC/Yahoo said the "good" prices expire after a while too.  That's why I didn't switch.  If that $27 is a lock, I'll make the switch as well.

Thanks for the head's up.

Starving

StarvingForHDTV

I went to SBC's website.  I guess you have to read the fine print for the offer:

"4 Must be new subscriber to order online. Offer requires a one-year term agreement. After the expiration of this term agreement, the then-current month-to month or applicable term price will apply. The regular monthly price for the service and a separate activation fee of $50.00 will appear on the first bill along with any corresponding and offsetting credits. Offer is available for a limited period of time and is subject to change without notice. Early termination fee of $200 applies if service is cancelled before expiration of term. Pricing is based on customer self-installation on an existing line. Minimum additional charge of $150-$200 applies if subsequent technician install is required or desired. Further details provided during enrollment and registration. Billing begins on service activation date. "

The regular price is $49.95 per month, which isn't a bargain at all IMO.

I suppose you could probably switch to their slow DSL after the offer is up.  Not sure on that though.  Even that would cost $39.95 a month for speeds up to 384 Kbps.  That doesn't sound too much faster than dial up to me.  384/56 = 6.8 at the maximum.  If that is correct thinking.  Maybe fast enough for the casual user.  Maybe.

I guess I have to stand pat for now.  If somebody knows of another high speed deal cheaper than $42 a month, I'm all ears.  No, I'm not willing to buy cable TV service to drop my price either.

Starving

Gregg Lengling

But then again you'd be suprised what they'll do for you if you call them.  I've had SBC DSL for a couple years and when I saw all the new offerings I called them up and told them that I thought I was being ripped off by paying 49.95 a month.  They then re-rated my account to the $26.95 per month rate with only a few minor disclaimers:   First you just signed a 1 year contract, and if you cancel before it is over you are liable for a $200.00 cancellation fee......End of story.  

Needless to say, I've got great thruput (256k upload) and now I'm only paying $26.95.  They were very knowledgeable (different than some of the other providers) and very friendly and helpful.

I'm one happy camper.

:D
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

SugarRay

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregg Lengling
But then again you'd be suprised what they'll do for you if you call them.  I've had SBC DSL for a couple years and when I saw all the new offerings I called them up and told them that I thought I was being ripped off by paying 49.95 a month.  They then re-rated my account to the $26.95 per month rate with only a few minor disclaimers:   First you just signed a 1 year contract, and if you cancel before it is over you are liable for a $200.00 cancellation fee......End of story.  

Needless to say, I've got great thruput (256k upload) and now I'm only paying $26.95.  They were very knowledgeable (different than some of the other providers) and very friendly and helpful.

I'm one happy camper.

:D
Gregg: That is about the same story I got.  How is your download speed?  Too bad RR/TWC would not match their price.  I would have stayed with them.

Gregg Lengling

I've only got the 768k package and it's always running at that speed.  My mom's got the 2mb with Charter and to tell you truth unless you're downloading 100meg files...it really doesn't matter, just about every page I go to downloads instantly.  More than fast enough for me.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

Bebop

I don't know what most of you are paying for phone service. I got rid my land line and went with VoIP for $20 (unlimited calling). My internet and phone services are about $64 a month. It only makes sense if you are using cable modem.

It's nice not to pay extra for unpublished number, varies fees and other calling features.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Gregg Lengling

Now the question is...can you call 911????

:guns:
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

The Law

Also, you may not get the faster DSL pipes depending on how far you are from the CO.   The DSL provider should be able to give you that information

The Law

BTW, If forgot to mention, I'm getting the 2.7 -3 Mbit downloads from TWC and 356-384 upload.  Just like advertised.

I used Charter's Speed Test

I've been very happy w/TWC's RoadRunner service.  In the past 3 years I think it's been down for me maybe twice.  I use the service daily for both work and recreation (so does my wife).  Though I cannot vouch for any other service, I can say I'm getting five 9's on uptime.

AndrewP

I have SBC DSL at work and Earthlink RR at home.
From time to time DSL line needs restart and I hate it when it happens on weekends when I can't connect to the office from home.
With Earthlink I have no problems ever. And it is much faster up to 5 times. I can agree about price. It should come down to at least $30. Maybe SBC will help us with that.
But for TV I use Dish - much better PQ on most chanells.

Andrew