• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Starz Encore Group, National Cable Television Cooperative Reach Agreement Providing f

Started by Gregg Lengling, Tuesday Nov 25, 2003, 09:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

Starz Encore Group LLC (Starz Encore Group) and The National Cable Television Cooperative (NCTC) today announced an agreement that will bring the new STARZ! networks -- STARZ! Kids and STARZ! HD -- to millions of consumers served by independent cable systems around the country.

Both new services will launch on Dec. 2. STARZ! Kids will deliver a schedule of uninterrupted, advertiser-free films appropriate for a younger audience. Among the films to be shown on STARZ! Kids will be "Finding Nemo," "The Jungle Book 2," "Monsters Inc.," "The Lizzie McGuire Movie," and "Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas." STARZ! HD will be a high-definition version of the flagship STARZ! channel, delivering a selection of films in 1080i with full Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. Among upcoming films on STARZ! HD are "The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers" and "Anger Management."

The agreement allows NCTC members to add STARZ! Kids to their Starz Super Pak lineups and to offer STARZ! HD to existing STARZ! subscribers at no additional retail cost.

"It is appropriate that this deal follows so closely on the heels of our recent agreement with Comcast," said Starz Encore Group president of sales & marketing Robert B. Clasen. "Despite all the consolidation of the past few years, the independent cable operator remains a key ingredient in the industry. NCTC's members prove that you don't have to be big to be innovative and to offer the best to your customers. We are delighted to have the opportunity to provide these exciting new services to the 15 million customers served by NCTC's 6,500 member systems."

NCTC president Michael Pandzik said: "Starz Encore continues to bring top box office movies to their networks and that leads to strong customer satisfaction. STARZ! Kids and STARZ! HD will further enhance the value of the Starz Super Pak networks for both NCTC member companies and their subscribers. We're pleased to make these new networks available to our members and are proud of the independent cable operators that are making HDTV available for their customers."
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

gparris

Quote:
The agreement allows NCTC members to add STARZ! Kids to their Starz Super Pak lineups and to offer STARZ! HD to existing STARZ! subscribers at no additional retail cost.

Read that, TWC-no additional cost!
:)

Maybe, as The Movie Channel-HD comes on Dec.1st, assuming it, too, is at no additional charge, you could provide the HD feed like you do the HBO-HD and Showtime-HD feeds for 2 HD channel additions.

Like TWC always tells us, it has to be either different in content in order to charge the subs more (witness ESPN-HD which they claim they don't have for this reason) or at no additional charge to TWC so the cost is not passed on, like Discovery HD Theater.:cool:

Memo to TWC: Please add Starz! HD and the forthcoming TMC-HD to your  HD lineup!

Thank you.:bow:

gparris

I just checked the HBO website and find numerous listings of Cinemax HD on their schedules. There is a listing of all the channels with HBO and HBO east HDTV listed in a top to bottom row of offered channels and Cinemax HDTV listed at the bottom.
Then I cross-referenced the 11-27 listing of shows in the A-Z listings for today and found the same shows listed with MAX and its HDTV icon (like HBO's) alongside.
My assumption: Cinemax HD is alive and running.

Time Warner is either posting it early and it doesn't exist yet or it exists and they're not advertising it yet. :(
Either way, it IS another HD channel not carried, advertised or out yet...I am confused about the listings if it is NOT available yet.
If it IS available, why isn't TWC offering it like they do HBO HD - part of their PARENT company? :confused:

Finally,  is this the sign of things to come for cable companies not to offer the HD versions of premium channels everytime these ARE offered? HBO and SHo HD are...is this the end of HD premiums' delivery? Will this be all there is?
I mention cable only in this line of reasoning only because Directv is slow to deliver HD like this-remember how long it took them to get Showtime HD,alone-while TWC had it all along. Bandwidth issues and a 3rd LNB were the cause in my understanding for slower delivery, probably not now, maybe.
So I question cable companies like TWC first of all.

Will Starz!HD be offered, along with The Movie Channel HD, in the TWC (and maybe satellite) lineups when they arrive December 1st and 2nd automatically?
Or will ignorance be bliss for these carriers...if no one knows these are available-then we don't have to offer them...even if, as Starz! HD claims-their channel is at no extra charge! (And I will assume the the TMC-HD channel is also to be same.)

Any ideas?

Looks like the  HDTV carriers will be sort of owing us an explanation of why there is no Cinemax HD already and if and when (or why) the other HD premiums are or will be missing!

Something is a little odd about this all.

While we waited and got IN HD 1 & 2 - for additional cost from TWC- and I did instantly add them for more HD channel availability, I still now wonder what is going on with the carriers.

As for the 3 premium HD movie channels on or soon to be available - information is silent.  Are they waiting to charge us for more HD channels again or are do contracts have to be signed or negotiated? HMMMM.:(

mhz40

With only 11K set tops out there, I wouldn't launch another premium HD service right now.
First, I don't believe HD simulcasting of premiums specifically drive more customers to those services...however, it may help keep some.
Secondly, the universe is extremely smaller for Starz & TMC vs HBO & Showtime, so adding those in HD affect a relatively small group.
IMO, you have to go with programming that can reach all 11K set tops without buying into a premium package already rejected by the customer for one reason or another... stuff that would enhance the HD experience for the entire HD universe.... like adding 18 & 24 HD, HDNet and ESPN-HD.  Although that's just me.;)

gb4fan92

Let's not forget that there is an East and West HBO HDTV channel. Why are we only getting one????:bang: :bang:

gb4fan92

like adding 18 & 24 HD, HDNet and ESPN-HD.

Amen to those channels!

gparris

My point was I DO subscribe to Cinemax, Starz! and TMC and IMO feel TWC should allow the HD feeds into its network to subscribers.  You would be suprised how many subscribers would dump Showtime for Starz! if it was in HD - to get the HD. Anyone who buys a HDTV set wants to maximize their availability of HD offerings until it becomes more commonplace.
 At very least Time Warner should push its TWC systems to add Cinemax HD because it is their parent company and we don't have HBO East and West...like the system in Houston, TX has ( they also have SHo in East and West feeds). :)

As for HDNET : IN HD 1 & 2 are too either too close to being like them or contractual agreements do not allow TWC put HDNET on their system, (as I understand it).
I have checked around the country for cable systems that carry both: they do not.
As for ESPN-HD: Until TWC can justify the price of carrying what little they currently carry in real HD - like a larger map of Wisconsin next year-as discussed in another thread this forum-the answer and request for it is a moot point. Why bring it up? The thread was about Starz! being available in HD-and at no extra charge.

As for Channels 18 & 24 HD---come on now...you know that as long as Sinclair owns them, we will NEVER get the HD feeds, at very least, to input them into the TWC cable system!!!:bang:
I am sure TWC would like its parent-owned  WB Network into its system for HD delivery at very least and not have to deal with the "Sinclair problem". :mad:
 As for the 24 HD feed...ditto.

Let's keep this to the subject at hand: HD feeds TWC could supply now that are available to TWC subcribers IF TWC wants to delivery them....HD premium movie channels.

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by gparris
clip   "Anyone who buys a HDTV set wants to maximize their availability of HD offerings until it becomes more commonplace."
 /clip    
Exactly what I'm saying... EVERYONE wants to maximize their HD offerings.  I'm adding that the offerings should be made to the largest audience possible.  By definition, that excludes any more Starz! offerings!  (On-topic enough for the thread there, gp?)
In the words of the great (recently hospitalized) Meatloaf...  'ya took the words right outa my mouth'.
:rock: Rock-on dude!

gparris

Nice to know you work for the cable company, mhz40.

Only they could twist my comments to THEIR favor. :(

I guess things never change.
 Cable does what cable WANTS to do. Screw the subscriber.
:o
No wonder why the satellite subscriber numbers keep going up!;)

Thanks again for the twisted reply!

:mad:

mhz40

Originally posted by gparris
Nice to know you work for the cable company, mhz40.

Most figured that out by now. I'm sorry if you hadn't figured it out already.  I think it's only fair to the group that I mention it when giving advice when it involves a possible conflict. What do you suggest I do instead?  I'm open for any suggestions.

Only they could twist my comments to THEIR favor.  
Where is the 'they' in 'MHz40'? 'They' have nothing to do with it. There is no contact for Fox6 here.  Your idiotic response is a good item for them to post in their lunchroom as an example as to why 'they' should avoid this site.  Thanks...

Thanks again for the twisted reply!  
I quoted you and then added my personal comment. Nothing twisted about it.  You chastise others to stay on topic and then you come up with this?

gparris

Forum rules do not allow me to express what I think of TWC, its attitude toward its subscribers and its personnel - you included.:mad:

If TWC does not want to deliver Starz! HD in the next couple of days to its 11,000-plus HD box renters, it will show their true colors, as you have already.

The subscriber is not important, only the business model TWC adheres to:
Give the subscriber what WE want and they'll just have to take or leave it.:o

Gregg Lengling

And with that we'll close this subject as it is a basic news group and a place for this discussion.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}