• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

prepare a 'detailed and realistic report' on the way forward for digital television i

Started by Gregg Lengling, Thursday Nov 20, 2003, 10:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

Irish Communications Minister Dermot Ahern has asked his Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources to prepare a 'detailed and realistic report' on the way forward for digital television in Ireland.

The report, called the Digital Switchover Plan, will examine all the issues relating to the rollout of digital television in Ireland, including the provision of DTT and also include the issue of broadband delivery.

Minister Ahern (pictured right) says that the report being prepared by his Department, in conjunction with the television and communications industry, will examine shortcomings to date and put forward proposals to fast track the practical delivery of digital and broadband solutions.

He says: "In recent years, the debate on broadcasting in Europe has been dominated to a significant degree by issues relating to digital television. The debate has focused on what technology will win out and which business models are most likely to succeed."

Ahern wants to see realistic proposals put forward for developing digital television, adding: "I've instructed my officials to assess the options for rolling out digital television in Ireland and in particular, the options relating to DTT, informed by international experience." He explains that in delivering digital television, there is no point in Ireland mimicking the failed and costly experiences of DTT elsewhere in Europe.

The Minister adds that offering broadband communications is a vital part of such a move, very relevant particularly to rural areas. He also believes that offering broadband will enhance the economics of DTT, improve the economics of the platform and enhance much needed cross-platform competition in the broadband sector. The report is due to be completed and delivered before the end of December.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}