• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DirecTV Signal Problem

Started by Tom Snyder, Saturday Nov 08, 2003, 11:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Snyder

After two years, I finally got around to wiring my master bedroom for DirecTV, and plugged in the SD Sony box that I had in our bedroom at the old place.

WHen I fired it up, I got the "Call x722" message and spent some time with the CSR trying to get it up and running.  After several system reboots, and a lot of keyboard clicking on her end, I finally got a picture, but it takes about 10 seconds between channel changes for the picture to appear and I'm getting a lot of lockups.  

She said that they're getting a lot of solar flare activity problems, although I'm having no problem with my DTC-100 in the living room.  She said if it doesn't go away in a few days, I should call back.

My cable run from the sateliite dish to the TV is about 60 feet, but I'm using good quality RG6.

Any thoughts?
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Todd Wiedemann

What kind of signal strength are you getting, Tom ??

I had similar problems until I tweaked my sig. strength up into the 90's ...

If it would help, I could help you tweak the alignment ... sometimes it's easier with "real-time" feedback while you're pointing.

Tom Snyder

Getting a 75-85 on Box 2, upper 80's on Box 1.  I can lean out my window and tweak the alignment and watch the signal strength as I mess with it. I'll give that a try...
Tom Snyder

Todd Wiedemann

Let me know ... the tweaking solved a few of those pesky issues for us.

Gregg Lengling

If it turns out you have a flakey box...don't worry I've got a spare you can have.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Tom Snyder

Thanks... I can't get any higher than an 85 on the second box, and an 87 on the DTC-100... but with all my putzing, the post that holds the dish has now loosened up and is slightly wobbly! :bang:

I need to go get some goop to pump into the space and get it rock solid before I do any more...

Is it possible to get a 90+ signal?
Tom Snyder

Todd Wiedemann

90+ ? Oh, yeah. Just have to be REALLY patient.

Currently, here's my stats:

101 (A) - 93 - TP16
110 (B) - 91 - TP22
119 (C) - 83 - TP08

SatC has lesser power, thus the smaller number.

Tom Snyder

But shouldn't an 85 be enought to keep the picture from locking up? Sound continues just fine, but the picture freezes. :(

Tomorrow I'm going to run a short 5-6 foot cable run directly off the dish to the box and hookup a small tv. If it's still doing it witha short run, it's probably a flakey box...
Tom Snyder

Tom Snyder

6 feet of cable from the dish to the box, 3 feet to the TV, signal strengths of 82-98... and picture is still freezing up.  DTV CSR sez it's definitely the box.  They offered me a replacement for $30, or an upgrade to a new DirecTV reciever with Tivo for $99... something I hadn't considered.  

So before I take Gregg L. up on his generous offer, does anyone have any experience or thoughts on the Tivo unit DTV provides?
Tom Snyder

Todd Wiedemann

I'm a huge ReplayTV advocate, but I've even considered the DirecTiVo at that price !

For only $99 there's not much downside ... please keep us in the loop, Tom !

Tom Snyder

I'm wondering whether DTV will have a similar deal for an HD Tivo unit when those are available.  If so, it might be worth the wait.

Then I can take Gregg's box as a "loan" instead of a "gift." :)
Tom Snyder

Matt Heebner

FYI...I  do believe that DTV charges a $4.99 Tivo fee a month unless you carry the whole Total Choice Premier package. So thats $5/mo for the extra box, and $5/mo for Tivo. Unless they've changed it since I last  inquired.

Matt

drgingras

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Snyder
I'm wondering whether DTV will have a similar deal for an HD Tivo unit when those are available.  If so, it might be worth the wait.

Why wait? The Hughes and Phillips (almost exact twins) offered by D* have been selling on Ebay for $100-200 for a long time. Get some experience / get spoiled with SD Tivo now, you can always get your money back thru Fleabay later when the HD Tivo comes out.

Besides the $4.99 Tivo fee Matt mentioned, keep in mind that these are 2-tuner units. Be prepared for 2 coax drops and a new/additional switch if you're currently maxed out with the Sony.

As far as experience with these units goes, I can't offer much - I'm an E* sub - and somewhat jealous. Dish's 2-tuner buggy DVCR is over $500 cost. However. I do have a single-tuner DVR, and except for HD, hardly ever watch live TV anymore (that's the "spoiled" part).

BTW, everyone is offering this $99 deal. Definately a legit deal, but who knows how long it'll last? Street rumor for the HD unit upgrade when available is $699-$799.

Dave
I kinda thought that might happen ...

Bebop

which transponder is the best to aim for getting the best overall signal?

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Tom Snyder

When I was on the phone with the CSR, she had me go to Sat A, Transponder 1 and 2. As I recall, I got an 83 on 1 and a 79 on 2. She said that was good enough to get a good picture. I got 98's and 100's on a couple of others, but I don't remember which ones...
Tom Snyder