• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC--I don't think I can take it anymore!!!

Started by mcneguy, Monday Mar 11, 2002, 08:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcneguy

Just got off the phone with TWC customer service.  I simply asked how soon they will be carrying the local stations HD feeds.  After putting me on hold for 10 minutes, the CS operator told me "No local stations are broadcasting in High Definition".  After assuring her that they were, she then said "When they broadcast a program in HD, we will pass that through".  After explaining a little about how HD works, she then said "There are no agreements in place currently to carry those channels"  

I'm not sure that I can make it Wednesday night for the live chat with the channel 58 guy, can someone ask him what is the real deal between TWC and his station regarding carrying the digital feeds?

This is just driving me to resurrect my DirecTV account as my wife won't let me erect an antenna on my roof.

RickNeff

TWC phone support is generally a hit-or-miss thing (usually on the "miss" side.)  What I did was to submit a query on their Web site asking the exact same question as to when local NBC and CBS broadcasts were going to occur.

I got a very nice reply from a Ms. Kate Mankowski who stated, "So far, our Milwaukee division only has an agreement with Milwaukee Public Television to retransmit HDTV programs.  Some of the other broadcasters in the area (WTMJ, WISN, etc.) have started to transmit HDTV signals, but we do not have an agreement to retransmit their digital broadcasts."  She also actually recommended a UHF antenna for OTA broadcasts.

She also stated, "If the you would like more specific information on agreements, you could contact either Judith Gifford or Steve Frantella in the Marketing department in the downtown office."  I've sent e-mails to both individuals.  Ms. Gifford replied, but only to say that Mr. Fantella was the one who knew the status of these.  Unfortunately, he hasn't replied back to me yet.

I really wouldn't count on them soon, personally.  But, I'll try to keep this place up-to-date if I do ever get any answers.

------------------
Richard Neff
Proud Toshiba 56x81 owner!

Tom Snyder

Quoteresurrect my DirecTV account

Keep in mind that DirecTV will only get you HBO and HDNet in HD... no HD locals.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

willie

One of Tw engineers is a Pat Rafferty 414-607-3659.  He helped first get TW when I had gotten DTV and was contemplating getting Dish for Show--I have been happy (see AVS re the SA 2000 HD problems for the relativity of this happy comment!) with TW and (also see AVS) am not too anxious for the SA 3100.  However he was also aware of the problems re arangements with the locals for carriage on TW in HD--I posted this months ago in AVS.

Bill Schmeling

tenth_t2

I can say that DirectTV's customer service folks have been about the same for me-- very frustrating.  Although I have to admit, I think my picture quality and signal reliability in bad weather is no worse than my brother in law's cable service was here in Waukesha.  He finally switched to DirectTV.

As long as you don't change packages all the time, and don't use the credit card autopay (I've had 3 mis-billings in the past year and since gone back to mailing checks), I think satellite is a good value in most (not all) cases.  Of course, I do not have a HD satelite receiver, and just can't justify the $400-600 for HDNet.

For now I'll live with the 5 OTA channels I get on my Mits.

Greg O.