News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC DVR....evtra service charge???

Started by 2thdoc01, Tuesday Sep 30, 2003, 05:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2thdoc01

Hi All,

I have the TWC dvr...very cool unit except the huge delay it has when changing channels!!

Why doesTWC charge me 6.95 for the box and 6.95 for dvr service....they dont do anything diff to your cable service do they?

If I bought a Tivo unit, will it allow me to have the channel guide to record off of?

Kurt

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by 2thdoc01
Hi All,

I have the TWC dvr...very cool unit except the huge delay it has when changing channels!!

Why doesTWC charge me 6.95 for the box and 6.95 for dvr service....they dont do anything diff to your cable service do they?

If I bought a Tivo unit, will it allow me to have the channel guide to record off of?

Kurt

Do you really need an answer on that one?

They charge you more because being able to record one channel and watch another---or record two channels at once---or pause live TV  is an added value above and beyond the linear feeds you get with a standard set top converter.

Tivo has no hooks into the cable channel guide.  40 hour Tivos units are running around $200 .  Plus another $13/month or $299 license for the lifetime of the unit.  

If I did the math right, at $14/month for DVR vs buying a basic Tivo, the break even point is after over 16 1/2 years one on the monthly Tivo plan and around 3 years if you get the lifetime Tivo option.

My numbers were based on surfing to only one site, so my calculations may be off if you can get better prices...

2thdoc01

Yo Mhz 40,

I grew up in eagle...over 28 years there....where do you live?

Anywho, why the "service" charge.......there is no diff in the cable signal??

You would think the charge for the box would be enough!

Why do my channels change with such a delay?  For the extra charge, I should get fast surfing.

I dont pay extra for HD service...just the box!

Kurt   former "eaglite"

gparris

TIVO monthly charges are more than Directv does as standalone units and that is about the same as the DVR rental AND service.

IF you have 2 DVRs from TWC,  the charge is discounted to $5 per box so its cheaper in the long run, especially as YOU DON'T have to BUY anything.

TWC DVRs have no upfront costs and have warranties from TWC-no contracts to buy and messing with lines at your favourite  electronics store.

NON-Directv Tivos do NOT offer Digital sound (pcm, dolby digital 5.1) to my knowledge and just  have stereo L and R jacks for sound-something that I find silly in today's home-theatre enviornment of surround sound.

:rolleyes:

Hope this is informative...:wave:

mhz40

Yo Mhz 40,

I grew up in eagle...over 28 years there....where do you live?

Anywho, why the "service" charge.......there is no diff in the cable signal??

You would think the charge for the box would be enough!

Why do my channels change with such a delay?  For the extra charge, I should get fast surfing.

I dont pay extra for HD service...just the box!

Kurt   former "eaglite"

I live in the village...
IMO--- the extra charge is for the ability to record and time shift programming .  That's not something you can do with a standard set top.  IMO, it is warranted.  Using the same analogy, why does a Kia cost more than a BMW?  They are both cars that get you from point A to B using the same roads.  Secondly---and most importantly; people are willing to pay extra!  Who knows--in 10 years Tivo-like functionality will be standard equipment on everything!
The delay is due to the fact that everything is put on disk first before you see it.  Not sure why it's done that way but that's the design we're stuck with.

Jimbo

The extra charge of the DVR is because it has two tuners in it.  You are essentially renting two boxes in one chassis.  
The DVR's are also very expensive,  More than twice what a normal digital box costs so there is also a some desire to get some of that $$ back and because they are still very new on the market every one TW hands out is new, there are no recycled units going out yet so there is a substantial captial investment in them right now.
Even at $13.00 a month it will be years before TW recovers the cost on these units which is about the time they will be worn out and need replacement

dicktwi

Hi All,

Kurt

According to TWC's latest price list (dated 10/03), the only charge for the dvr is $6.95 ($5.00 if you take the Digital Value Package).  The equipment charge (for the converter box and remote) is $6.95, but that's the same for the standard, digital, dvr or hdtv converter box.  So, again...the only TWC charge for dvr service is $6.95 (or $5.00) a month.  Seems pretty darn reasonable to me considering the cost of a Tivo or Replay, hardware and online guide costs.