• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Any Roadrunner cable people out there?

Started by Matt Heebner, Saturday Sep 20, 2003, 01:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarvingForHDTV

3137/364 in Mequon using Earthlink.

Starving

John L

Hmmmm...and I am getting 1575 as I write this. Or 1.575, what gives? why is everyone higher?   I thought Muskego was up with technology as the rest of Road Runner.  Or could it be my computer?  I have a 2.0 ghz AMD CPU.

-John L.

Matt Heebner

I don't think it's your computer. I using a totally outdated AMD    K-6 400 Mhz and I am getting good speeds.
I think it's time to upgrade the computer though!

Matt

The Law

If you're broadband, the bottleneck won't be the PC - the NIC will be at least 10 Mbit.  The Cable modem prolly caps out at 3 Mbit (not sure - don't know much about their specs).  The bottleneck will be the WAN (i.e. RoadRunner) - specially since it's shared.

Also, for home accounts...upload will alway be crap - it's by design (stops people from hosting big sites :)

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by John L
Hmmmm...and I am getting 1575 as I write this. Or 1.575, what gives? why is everyone higher?   I thought Muskego was up with technology as the rest of Road Runner.  Or could it be my computer?  I have a 2.0 ghz AMD CPU.

-John L.

That's still faster than a T1.  Try this---  http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks, you might be able to squeeze a little more out of your link.
Also, if you are running XP, turn off QOS... it reserves 20% of your bandwidth for some odd reason.

jlegge

Err.... whats this QOS thing and how do you turn it off?

Nevermind.... found it here.

John L

Thanks for the instructions. However I typed in  qpedit.msc at the run prompt it comes up with the "Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc' window.  Yes I have Windows XP, but I am on my DXer account, not my administrative account or the main account. I will check there in hopes to get it.

-John L.

John L

I went to my main account (administration) and unable to do the Start-> Run-> gpedit.msc with getting "Windows cannot find....".

I printed out the notes that Jlegge had the link to, and on the illustration showing the "Limited reservable bandwidth Properties" near the bottom it said "Supported on: At least  Microsoft Windows XP Profesional".  That probably explains it. I am using the Home edition.  Does the home edition have the same thing? If so, what file do I need to check?

-John L.

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by John L
I went to my main account (administration) and unable to do the Start-> Run-> gpedit.msc with getting "Windows cannot find....".

I printed out the notes that Jlegge had the link to, and on the illustration showing the "Limited reservable bandwidth Properties" near the bottom it said "Supported on: At least  Microsoft Windows XP Profesional".  That probably explains it. I am using the Home edition.  Does the home edition have the same thing? If so, what file do I need to check?

-John L.

In XP Pro...

Start---> Control Panel--->  Network Connections---> (Your Local Area Connnection)---> [Roght Mouse Click] Properties

Uncheck QOS Packet Scheduler option on the 'General' Tab

John L

QuoteIn XP Pro...

Start---> Control Panel---> Network Connections---> (Your Local Area Connnection)---> [Roght Mouse Click] Properties

Uncheck QOS Packet Scheduler option on the 'General' Tab
[/B]

Thanks!  I was able to remove checkmark.  I did Speed Test again, now it reads 1464.  But then I didn't reboot yet.  Will check again tomorrow.  Then again the ISP is probably busy right now too.

-John L.

ajs1122

Mine was 4.037 from downtown on TWC.
-ajs:wave:

rnelson

I got notice from my ISP that my yearly dialup account will expire Nov 1.  So, I thought that this is the time to make the change.

I called rr to get setup last Wednesday.  They came this AM at around noon and got me running.  I needed a new line from the front of the house.  I knew that and told the installer that the picture I had with TW was so bad, I droped them two years ago and went to DirecTV.

Well, some things never change.  10 Minutes after he left, my rr stoped working.  I called up and was told that the entire Waterford Area is off the air.  They did say that they are working on it.  That was more than 2 hrs ago.

Maby I should keep my dialup account active :)

When they get the system running again, I'm going to try the speed test.

Roy

Matt Heebner

I have had RR for close to 6 mo. now, being a convert from Earthlink DSL that I had for like 3 years. Anyways I can honestly say that RR is pretty good about connection issues, and I've really only had one connection problem that lasted about an hour. That being said though, in the 3+ years I had DSL, I never, ever had a problem with connection, I did have speed issues when they upgraded the Chicago relays (or whatever they are called)

Matt

kjnorman

Had speeds ranging from 1600 to 3261kbs tonight.

Speed is nice, mind you if I had my choice I would be happy to have 768kbs if the price was only $25 per month, not $45 per month.  Surely there must be a market out there for 1/2 price cable and 1/2 the speed.....

Kerry