News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Adjusting Output Format 1080i/720p

Started by GADGET71, Wednesday Jun 30, 2004, 04:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GADGET71

I never really bothered to do much with this, and this may be a simple question from some of you HD gurus out there.  On my Samsung 151 OTA STB I have a setting on the back to switch between 480i/480p/720p/1080i.   Is is necessary to switch this when a particular station(example ABC in 720p) broadcasts at a particular format, or can I just leave my switch on 1080i and let the tuner do the work.  Will there be any benefit to switching it?

Gaget71
Mits 55809
Sammy 151
CM 4228
Cheap UHF/VHF combo
two winegard preamps
________
BMW M52 history

Matt Heebner

The digital box will upconvert all incoming signals to 1080i. Since you have a Mits with a native resolution of 1080i, that would make the most sense.

If you had a fixed pixal display (like a DLP) whose native resoulution is like 1280x720, then you would want the box to convert all resolution to 720p.

Basically the closer to your TV's native resolution, the better the picture is going to look.

Hope this helps...

Matt

summerfun

You might want to experiment around. I have and LCD with a fixed display of 720p, but my PQ is better when I have my STB set to 1080i output.

StarvingForHDTV

Yeah it probably depends if the video processor is superior in your set top box or display device.  Assuming of course you don't have an external scaler.

Starving

tazman

Just to put my 2 cents in.  I have also experimented with this and came up with the same results as summerfun did.  Even though we may use different tuners our sets are similar.