• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

If anyone is going to State Fair ...

Started by Todd Wiedemann, Thursday Aug 07, 2003, 08:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wiedemann

... Friday, August 8th is the day.

Why, you might ask ?? Well, here's your answer, fresh from Tim C's Friday, August 8th column:

QuoteCome by the Journal Communications Booth at the Wisconsin State Fair between noon and 2 this afternoon with your questions, comments and scoops about TV and radio.
Perhaps someone would like to talk, face to face, with Tim regarding HD ??

:wave:

Gregg Lengling

I'm going to be there with the wife tomorrow...but I don't really want to talk with the guy.

:bang:
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

mcq

OH MA GAWD!

I am going to be at the fair also.....Someone......Hold me back...Please.

Seriously, I've grown to to recognize that the stuff he writes and the specific medium he uses, is insignificant in the scheme of things called "my life." (Cheaper than therapy!)

It would be neat to actually see him and hear what he may have to say about this topic we all love......(I would be too much of a coward to actually ask or say anything)  How many beers can I get in before noon 'cause that's the only way I'll keep from getting brain damage........

:)

Gregg, I'll meet you there...Strength in numbers!?  ;)

mcq

QuoteOriginally posted by mcq
Gregg, I'll meet you there...Strength in numbers!?  ;)

AW forget it, I'll go see the half ton pigs instead, I have it on good authority that they are lobbying Mark Cuban to put all the "Green Acres" epidodes in HiDef.......

Viva L'Arnold

:D

Gregg Lengling

Actually guys I stopped and talked with Tim about 10 minutes before 2 and talked for almost 15 minutes.  I introduced myself and we actually had a wonderful chat.  I guess it's really hard to judge a person by a small column in a newspaper.  He's rather well informed these days on HD and I think that is in part to our site.  He informed me that he regularly sends people to our site that are asking him HDTV questions, and he feels that we have a wealth of knowledge and information.

I know a number of people knock him left and right (myself included once or twice, but being an Admin/Moderator I'm trying to stop that), and I think we should cut him some slack.  You know the old biblical saying..."Let him who without sin, cast the first stone".  He had already read this thread this morning and figured that no one was going to stop, so I guess it was a good thing I did.

Overall I'd have to say that we had a rather nice chat.  He gave me the impression that he thinks very highly of our Website and Forum (except for the bashing).  So what you say guys, let's limit the bashing and instead if you have a beef, first e-mail him politely and see if you can remediate the problem.  I'm going to be very diligent on watching postings that are construed as negative and I'm putting everyone on warning (You too Tom :bang: )...that I'm going to ZAP anything that is overboard.

Well that's all for now....BTW...both Tim and I remarked that there was NO ONE with a HDTV...no MPTV...no WTMJ...nobody.  As a matter of fact even in the junk sellers buildings I could buy a Hot Tub or order a new Chevy SSR Pickup (my wife was interested until we got quoted 42 grand), but no HDTV.

(On a final note....I fired Associated Electronics after 1 service call on my big TV.....if you want to know why e-mail me direct, and I have Mike from Port Washington coming down on Monday to fix it.)

That's all for now..time for a BEER!

Ciao from Cedarburg!
:D
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

Todd Wiedemann

I'm really glad you guys had a nice chat.

Perhaps I should step back, as you said Gregg, and give some room.

I do appreciate the fact that he sends people our way, that's quite nice.

Maybe someday I'll have the opportunity to chat face-to-face with him as well.

Shame that there was no HD there. You'd think a Flanner's, etc. would step up ;)

(PS - Hi 'JLegge' :wave: )

Tom Snyder

QuoteI'm putting everyone on warning (You too Tom)  

I certainly have my opinions about media coverage in general and about Tim Cuprisin specifically.  I can say that my excellent relationship with his predecessor, Michael Zahn, makes this one a tough act to follow (I was in radio at the time and always had a scoop for him).

However, I would encoruage anyone who thinks that I'm unfair, overly critical or even caustic go through the same exercise I went through one time when Mr. Cuprisin and I had a bit of a "dusty up" to see if the impression of me was accurate. The forum has a search feature, and you can search for every one of my posts that contains the word "Cuprisin."  

You may end up with a different impression.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Kevin Arnold

Glad to hear you were able to have a reasonable discussion.  I can imagine that someone writing a column has everyone and anyone pulling at them to promote their opinion/point of view.  Mr. C has to be careful  so as to not burn any bridges to the broadcast and cable community.  

I was extremely disappointed that no one set up a HD demo at the fair.  I would have expected TMj, ITI, ISN, or DJT to do SOMETHING! Schizophrenia dominates as all broadcast outlets ignore their digital channel and pretend like nothing has changed. Opportunity missed and wasted. I suspect the broadcast boys have grown fat and sassy after years of printing money from their franchises.  The next few years will be interesting.
Kevin Arnold

Todd Wiedemann

I don't want to seem wishy-washy, but  ...

Gregg, what changed your mind ?? I'm all for 'second chances' but I'd like to hear why you, specifically, are putting the warning order out.

Kevin Arnold

Agreed.  If we get too zealous we can do damage to the credibility of this board.  Like it or not, criticism is the lifeblood of any public board. (Name calling and gratuitous posts aren't).
Kevin Arnold

Gregg Lengling

I think in response to your points I have to say this about Tim C..

He was very receptive to all my points, was very accomadating (sp.) and he gave me the impression that he felt that Milwaukeehdtv.org was doing a great service.  I also realize that he has to run middle of the road as was stated before...you can't alienate any of your readers if possible.  All I'm saying is let's just give it a reprieve and see what happens.  If the world stays the same...then I read him wrong...but I'm pretty sure that Tiim is on our side and really is enjoying HDTV as much as we are and is no longer the critic we thought he was.

So give me a 2 week period to see if I got the right impressions.  If I didn't I'll personally appologize on this forum and hold off on my judgements.  But as they say everyone deserves a second chance and I'm not talking about Tim, I'm talking about ME!

:wave:
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

mcq

I saw him at the fair also.....
I guess in retrospect, I have been one of the loudest critics (bashers!?) As I stated above I've actually moved on. In all fairness to Tim I really don't read his column (or the Journal for that matter) unless someone here posts it. I have been a several year subscriber to the USA Today.

My only beef with Tim (and I am comparing his editorials to those I follow in the USA today) is his "negativity" towards digital/HDTV as a delivery system in general. And I am sure even that has waned since he joined our ranks as an owner, (and there are lots of viewing options AND the prices are coming down!). I know that I am repeating myself, but I can't understand the lack of passion for something so techinically innovative, especially for someone who wears the hat as an expert. This board alone is testimony to "nutcases :) " who are passionate about this stuff. It just hurts when someone who we want to look to as a media leader in this area makes disparaging comments about the thing we love, or begins name calling with the "technogeek" thing.  

I will follow everyone else's lead, especially those of the moderators, with respect to this topic. And I apologize to Tim Cuprisin if I did any bashing, name calling, or otherwise--real or perceived.

mcq
Patrick K. McHugh

P.S. There were several HiDef TV's in the giveaway house, and I heard a lady behind me comment about how cool the picture was.

Tom Snyder

Actually, when it comes to Tim, OUR site is pretty tame...

Look at what goes on over at Brew City Radio!
http://www.brewcityradio.com/wwwboard/messages/12918.html
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

mcq

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Snyder
Actually, when it comes to Tim, OUR site is pretty tame...

Look at what goes on over at Brew City Radio!
http://www.brewcityradio.com/wwwboard/messages/12918.html

As they would say on That 70's Show... "....Burn....."

As for me, I'm just envious of the guy. While I did take a day of vacation to be at the fair on Friday, I need to be in Monday morning--bright and early.