• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Samsung TS-160 problem

Started by jbarr, Friday Aug 01, 2003, 11:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbarr

I recently had a problem with my Samsung TS-160 receiver that I thought I would share with everyone, so that you don't beat your head against the wall like I did.  I purchased the unit in February and due to subdivision convenants, I could not put an antenna outside.  So I mounted a Channel Master 4228 UHF 8 bowtie antenna in my garage.  I could get all channels from Milwaukee except CBS and of course fox.  I tried everything to get it to work.  Nothing helped.  Figured I was too far out (Elkhorn) so I was doomed to not get cbs.  The guys at cbs58 gave me good advice and had me try some things, but nothing fixed it.  Thanks to the guys at cbs58 for their help.  I htought maybe a different antenna or having to fight the subdivision board was going to be my only way out.  

A few weeks ago when a storm came through and put rainwater inside my triple head lnb(since replaced with a better model via Directv), my samsung receiver stop working all together even directv hd channels did not work.  I took it back to the Flanners and they shipped it back to Samsung.  Samsung replaced it with a new unit.  Put that unit in and like magic  everything works, even cbs.  Fox is still missing but that is not a surprise.  

I have learned that the Samsung units seem to have some type of problem if they are not well ventalated which mine was, but that seemed to be the first thing everyone (directv, Flanners and samsung) seemed to blame. In reality it was just a bad unit from the start and the rain in the head made it fail completely.  But it seemed fine since most things came in and generally it seemed to work.

So two things to watch for.  The water in your lnb and be sure to keep your stuff well ventalated.

With my new TS-160, I could not be happier.  Time to settle in for HD sports and movies.

gparris

Thank you for the information as we all get frustrated with technology and sometimes we think the things got minds of their own...!

So you refer to these "covenants" - do they tell you you cannot have an outside HD antenna,  meaning you can still have a Directv triple LNB outside your house (at very least)?:mad:

I am planning on moving to a house again and the subdivision has some restrictions also, though I am not sure it will apply to antennas. It would be stupid for them to outlaw a small dish.

S0- is your Directv dish outside or inside(where I think there would be a big problem)?  

Thanks again for the help.:wave::cool:

jbarr

The dish is outside and the subdivision has no problem with the small dish.  It is an antenna they have a problem with.  I know I could use the fcc ruling that says I cannot be denied, but I am trying to be a good nieghbor.  

So actually considering that I am 50 miles from the tower with the antenna in my garage, I am pretty pleased with the reception, now that my Samsung is working properly.

I was surprised that it was somewhat functional before.  Usually these things are all or nothing.  So missing one channel seemed like it had to be my configuration, but instead it was a hardware problem.

So watch for subdivision rules...