• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Dish Network

Started by StarvingForHDTV, Monday Jul 07, 2003, 07:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarvingForHDTV

Does anyone know if it is possible to order Discovery HD a la carte through Dish Network?

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/discHD/index.shtml

If so, what's the best way to go about getting the equipment needed?  Ebay? Direct from Dish? ???  I would need the receiver with local OTA capability and the dish(s).

Thanks in advance,

Starving

Gregg Lengling

Personally from what I've found so far regarding Dish network..they don't have but 1 option for an HDTV dish receiver with the 8VSB option...and it's mighty expensive.  

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/receivers/6000/index.shtml

As you'll see the 600 series with Dish is $699.99 plus an extra $149.00 for the 8VSB module....ooooouch......that hurts.  Pretty rough when you can find Direct/OTA Receivers every day for less than $450.00 total vs their $850.00

Another point is that Dish's birds aren't close enough to each other to use a single dish......their HD product requires 2 dishes from what I've heard...(I'm not an expert on Dish).
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

drgingras

Yes, you can get DiscoveryHD ala carte from Dish. If you don't order one of the channel packages, there's a $5 monthly surcharge. And Greg's right, 2 dishes needed - core programming and guide info. are on the 110 and 119 birds, HD content currently on the 61.5 bird. Not sure if you could get their STB's to acquire signal on the 61.5 only.

As for the 6000 STB, the 8VSB module is needed for OTA, the 8PSK module for DiscoveryHD and future HD channels. HBOHD and SHOHD currently do not require either module. Current best cost for the 6000 and both modules is about $625 plus shipping (and maybe some strings attached).  Unlike Directv, Dish controls the manufacture of it's STB's, no other choices beyond the 6000. Check out dishdepot.com.

This is all subject to change if the "Superdish" goes to market and Dish secures a 3rd slot near 110 and 119. Rumor is that you'll only need 1 dish for everything.

DBSTalk.com has a wealth of info. on Dish and you can ask questions without registering. The next Dishnetwork Tech. Chat is scheduled for broadcast July 18 - might want to wait until then and read a few threads at DBSTalk.com and dbsforums.com.

Dave
I kinda thought that might happen ...

AndrewP

I got my 6000 from //www.stellitedepot.com lat year for $450 + $140 for 8VSB card.
But I will recommend to wait a little bit more. Trey are releasing new basic receivers (less expensive) and PVR receivers soon.
Also they will announce soon about their HD package.
Rumors state it will include with already announced HDNET, HDMOVIES, also BravoHD, HallmarkHD. CinemaxHD and StarsHD will probably be available with corresponding premium packages.

Andrew

StarvingForHDTV

Thank you everyone for your help.  I will do some more research, but it does sound promising that I would be able to buy HD programming without purchasing SD programming from  Dish Network.  I looked at Ebay, and there are 6000 model receivers priced in the $300 range.

I sent an email to Dish Network asking about this and got a response which did not answer my questions.

My email:

"I am interested in signing up for your Discovery HD package:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/discHD/index.shtml

I have a HDTV, but I do not have the HDTV Dish receiver or the dish(s) to get the signal.  How do I go about getting the necessary equipment and installation?

Is Discovery HD available as a stand alone product?  If not, what is the minimum package needed to subscribe to Discovery HD.

Thanks in advance."

And their response:

"Thank you for your e-mail.  To receive HD programming you will need a Model 6000 receiver, an Enhanced HD Module, and a 2nd dish. You may also need an 8VSB cartridge. Both the 61.5° and 148° slots are carrying the high definition programming. Please visit (http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/technology/receivers/6000/index.shtml) for more information on about the Model 6000 receiver.  

Our long term plan is to have more HDTV available than any other programming provider. Right now, there are four sources of high definition content for satellite providers.  These four sources are HBO, ShowTime, CBS and HD Discovery.  We also have some pay-per-view movies in HDTV as well.  

The Enhanced HD Module uses 8PSK (8 Phase Shift Keying) to more efficiently modulate satellite signals. Not to be confused with compression, this more efficient modulation method allows DISH Network to greatly increase our HDTV channels while using the same amount of bandwidth. The module installs into any Model 6000 DISH Network satellite receiver.

The first channel to utilize this new technology is Discovery HD Theater (ch.9420, satellite 61.5°) aired on August 1, 2002.  For more information on the module please call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-333-3474. Information may be found at (http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/discHD/index.shtml) for Discovery HD Theater.  This channel may be purchased ala carte.

In order to receive HDTV CBS you will first have to qualify, which you may do by contacting our Customer Service Center at 1-800-333-3474 and one of our representatives will assist you.

8VSB stands for 8-Level Vestigial Side-Band and is an adopted standard for receiving digital off-air signals. The 8VSB Cartridge is used in the Model 6000 receiver. The 8VSB Cartridge allows the Model 6000 receiver to deliver analog and digital off-air broadcasts. Customers without adequate off-air reception in their area can enjoy a cost savings to the Model 6000 receiver by not having to purchase the 8VSB cartridge that they cannot use. Customers with adequate signal will need to purchase a suitable off-air antenna (not sold directly by DISH Network) to receive the various off-air signals in their area

As a current customer, you may also use our website to view your current or previous billing statements, add services, or make payments to your account.  Please use the link https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customercare/UserManagement/login.jsp to visit our Online Customer Support Center.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you.  If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to //www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email.  

Sincerely,

Heather S.  

DISH Network eCare"

Heather S. must not have understood what I was asking.....

Starving

StarvingForHDTV

QuoteOriginally posted by drgingras
The next Dishnetwork Tech. Chat is scheduled for broadcast July 18 - might want to wait until then and read a few threads at DBSTalk.com and dbsforums.com.

Dave

I found a summary of the main chat points on an AVS thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=254513

"Update #2: According to the Dish Network Tech Chat on July 14:

- Superdish will be available this fall
- 6000 receiver supports the Superdish
- New 811 HDTV receiver (w/ OTA) announced at $299
- New 921 HDTV PVR announced at $999
- Future HDTV will be at 105, not 121. A satellite is moving to 105.
- Cinemax HD, Starz HD, and more are coming, still talking to ESPN
- Superdish will not be free, but there will be upgrade program
- No HD going to 110, 105 (single dish solution) is the slot for all HDTV"

Maybe I should wait until fall.  An HDTV PVR would be pretty cool.  Perhaps they will have more HD channels by then.

Starving

mcq

"BIAS ALERT!"

What does this mean????

"...Our long term plan is to have more HDTV available than any other programming provider. Right now, there are four sources of high definition content for satellite providers. These four sources are HBO, ShowTime, CBS and HD Discovery. We also have some pay-per-view movies in HDTV as well....."

How old is this propaganda and how is it We get HDNet on Direct TV??

drgingras

Yeah, canned responses have a really long shelf life:o

Dish is now playing catch-up. New HD offerings planned for the near future, satellites being moved to accomodate more channels, and Echostar IX is on the platform and being readied for an August Sea Launch.

I'm sure Rupert and Co. (and hopefully TWC) will have the appropriate countermeasures available shortly thereafter. All good things for the consumer looking for HD viewing choices.

That being said, my Dish6000 STB, along with many others, is now broke. Possibly due to a bad software download. Bet you don't read about that in any propaganda-type response.

Thankfully, no matter who is offering what, OTA is there for both sat providers.

Dave
I kinda thought that might happen ...