• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

antenna dilemma

Started by Neilium, Friday Jun 20, 2003, 01:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neilium

Looking to get a roof top antenna to pick up Milwaukee and/or Chicago HDTV. Any suggestions? Price Ranges? Are there any chances to pick up Green Bay or Madison? A Samsung SIR-T151 HDTV Tuner is arriving shortly from eBay. It seems to be a better and less expensive option to getting Cable or Dish. I am located just east of Tosa. Thanks much in advance for the help.

Gregg Lengling

Go to your local radio shack..the antennas they have are actually manufactured by a well known antenna maker.  Depending on your location will dictate what size you buy.  You can buy all the materials there...tripod or chimney mount...cable ect.  Use RG6, quad shield for the lowest loss.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Todd Wiedemann

Hey, Gregg ...

You forgot the most important thing:

Don't forget to ground your antenna.

... I learned the hard way.

Sammy

Also check out Antennaweb (linked on the main page) to get an idea of what size/type you'll need.

Check out the 'Receptions map' thread in the technical issues forum to get an idea of what other people in your area are getting.

Personally, I got the biggest Channel Master antenna, preamp and rotor I could get and put it on a 10' roof tripod.  Living in Kenosha, I can get pretty much everything from Milwaukee and Chicago - except Fox 6 of course.

jeffbyk

I live in Franksville, which is about 10 miles due south of Oak Creek.  I installed a tower with two Winegard PR9022 antennas.  The one pointed at Chicago is at the top of the mast (about 30 ft) and the one pointing at Milwaukee is about 5 feet lower on the mast.  I manually switch them when necessary from my entertainment room.  The switch is a much more inexpensive option than using a rotor, just as quick if not quicker, and probably more reliable.

I have had great results with extremely high signal strengths for all channels from both cities, except of course for Fox 6.  Fortunately I was able to catch a few Packer games in Fox's Enhanced Widescreen TV from the Chicago Fox station last season.  Even though it was not HD, it was quite a noticable improvement over the 4:3 aspect ratio.

I originally experimented with a Radio shack UHF antenna and it performed adequately, but decided to ultimately go with the Winegards, which was a little bigger.  The Winegard antennas are a little more expensive than the Radio Shack antennas, but they are constructed slightly better, (and look a little cooler with a blue boom). :cool:

Two years ago I would have said that I would rather paint my house purple before I put up one of those ugly towers, but then came HDTV and the need to get as many channels as possible.  The tower is a thing of beauty now. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your installation!

Jeff

Sammy

I agree with Jeff that two anntennas with a switch is faster switching than a rotor.  But the rotor has several advantages:

1:  I can fine tune my antenna direction from inside without climbing up and down from that roof or using a second person.  (very handy after a big wind storm as well as when first set up).

2:  Only need to buy one antenna.  For me this was enough cost savings to more than pay for the rotor.  If you're able to use cheaper antennas (SP?), a switch may be cheaper overall for you.

3:  Using a Channel Master 9521A remote control rotor, I can control it with the same remote I use for all my other electronics.  Not sure if you can get a remote activated switch - but I suppose you could mount the switch next to your favorite chair ;)

4:  For me, certain stations will come in better with a slightly different antenna direction.  The rotor lets me tweek this at will.

drgingras

For the fellow couch potatoes who switch antennas:

RadioShack

Dave
I kinda thought that might happen ...

jeffbyk

That remote switch would be sweet if it came with an RF remote since my switch isn't currently visible.  I rarely have to change it though with most stations coming on line in Milwaukee.  Lately, it is just Fox and WB that I have to make the switch, unless one of the Milwaukee stations goofed and forgot to throw the switch to HD.  I also don't get CBS from Chicago, since they broadcast on VHF band and my antennas are UHF.

As far as tuning in the antenna for the best signal strength, I am extremely fortunate.  For about $50 for each antenna and some cabling, I just pointed them once at setup last summer and haven't had to move them since.  Signal strengths have been above 75 for all stations, if not 100 for most, even through the winter, when signal strength is supposed to drop.  I am guessing my location and surrounding structures just happen to be ideal, though.

Jeff

Neilium

Thanks for the help everyone. I should be getting the HDTV box soon and I will keep you posted with what I can get with it.

borghe

reading this thread is pretty interesting.. does anyone have a suggestion for a place that will install the antenna for me? I am a hardcore acrophobic so me doing the work myself is out of the question.... Thanks.

jeffbyk

I can completely relate about the fear of heights thing.  I used to be so afraid of heights, I could barely function on a one story roof.  So you should have seen me hanging from this tower.  Even with harnesses, it is still difficult to pry your hand loose to be able to make a connection, especially on a windy day.

For an installer, check out this thread:

http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=505&highlight=antenna+installation