• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DirecTiVo and HD?

Started by FreQi, Tuesday Jun 17, 2003, 07:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreQi

I have become pretty disappointed with the picture quality on TW Digi Cable and have all but decided to switch to DirecTV.  I have asked some folks that I know about their experience with DirecTV and have gotten nothing but glowing reviews saying their Customer Service is excellent and their Picture Quality is far superior to digicable, so the idea of switching is very appealing.

However, I have some specific needs that might be considered... unconventional.

I capture and encode a lot of TV shows, and because of that, I am quite concerned about service outages and signal loss.  Living in WI, I always thought the snow and weather would regularly cause programming interruptions.  Is this not something I should worry about?

I have been using a HiPix card in my computer for capturing and encoding OtA HD programming for several months, and have been quite happy with it (except for the local affils recurring mistakes, and WITI-Fox just generally being lame).  I am interested in getting HBO-HD, but that and Showtime seem to be the only "programming" channels that satellite offers in HD.  Is there any chance that Network programming like ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, WB and/or UPN would eventually be available on DirecTV-HD ?  If not, I don't think I would be able to justify the cost of the HD equipment for only HBO-HD...

Because I intend to encode many of the shows for archiving, I would need to get a DirecTiVo unit and hack it up a bit, adding larger hard drive(s) and various applications to it (Note: when I talk about hacking I do not mean circumventing subscriptions, just adding recording capacity and the ability to extract the recorded broadcasts.).  To that end, I am uncertain which unit would best suit my needs.  I understand that Series1 TiVo's are easy enough to hack (I have a stand alone Philips TiVo that I added a TurboNet card to), but aren't those being phased out in favor of the Series2 TiVo's?  And what about DirecTiVo's that can record HD?  Do those exist?  Can they be hacked?

Also, I am a little unclear on the availability of network programming.  I don't really care if I get ABC and FOX from the Milwaukee affiliate (in fact I might not want it from there, stupid banners) but I do want the digital satellite broadcast.  Can I get the network broadcasts from any affiliates?  Can I get multiple affiliates?  Like a east coast feed and a west coast feed?

Lastly, because I would be a new subscriber to DirecTV, I have no equipment.  I am starting from scratch here.  Do I have to outright buy everything?  I am kind of under the impression that I can get the dish (just the dish?) sent to me if I just leave it at the house when I move.  So perhaps all I have to buy is the DirecTiVo unit and then get a subscription...?

Matt Heebner

I can't speak to the Tivo's as I do not have one...yet. Waiting for the HD Tivo's.
Anyways...

QuoteIs there any chance that Network programming like ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, WB and/or UPN would eventually be available on DirecTV-HD ?
Highly doubtful because of bandwidth issues. There is no way that DirecTv could possibly carry local HD for every city that they provide local channels for. Hell picture quality went right down the toilet when they started adding all the locals causing them to launch the spot-beam satellite a few years ago. Starting July 1, Directv is going to carry ESPN-HD, Discovery HD Theater,and HDNet Movies in addition to HDNet, HBO-HD, SHO-HD NBA-TV-HD, and selected Sunday Ticket Football in HD . No word yet regarding FOX Sports Net-HD (TWC is picking this up) Bravo-HD, or Cinamax-HD.

QuoteLiving in WI, I always thought the snow and weather would regularly cause programming interruptions. Is this not something I should worry about?

I have had satellite since apprx. 1998 and I count on two hands the number of weather related outages in that  time. If you have signal strength in the upper 80's into the 90's, it takes a BIG thunderstorm to knock out satellite. Usually I lose the weaker transponders, but the spot beams still stay strong. Also, when I am knocked out, never for more than 10 min. or until the heavy rain clouds pass.  Snow on the other hand is a pain. Wet snow can stick to the front of the dish causing it to lose the reflected signal. Either make sure that you can reach the dish with a broom, coat the dish with a cooking spray like Pam (I have never attempted this, but people have said that it works), or I think that you can buy a heater cover that fits over the dish and will melt the snow.

QuoteAnd what about DirecTiVo's that can record HD? Do those exist? Can they be hacked?

There isn't enough info out yet as they aren't going to be released till the end of the year, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to put in a larger HD.

QuoteCan I get the network broadcasts from any affiliates? Can I get multiple affiliates? Like a east coast feed and a west coast feed?

Nope, and nope. I don't remember the ins-and-outs of the big satellite vs. the networks vs. cable court battles from a few years ago, but since DirecTv carries most of the Milw. locals (not the lower power stations though) that's all they will provide. You can not get the east/west coast feeds because the local providers did not want their advertising revenue cut into with the main national feeds. Maybe someone who remembers all the court battles over "Must Carry" could shed more light.

QuoteDo I have to outright buy everything? I am kind of under the impression that I can get the dish (just the dish?) sent to me if I just leave it at the house when I move. So perhaps all I have to buy is the DirecTiVo unit and then get a subscription...?

There are many deals going around the require only a one year commitment to get one or two rooms installed w/equipment for free. For HD though, you have to buy the stuff yourself. Flanners runs an excellent deal for purchasing and installing HD stuff (a Hughes E86, oval dish, installation). Ask them about it. Aiming a oval dish pointed at three satellites by yourself is a pain. The moving deal is when you are an existing customer, and are moving to another house. Direcv will give you a new dish at the new house provided you leave the existing dish at the old house. You take the receiver with you.

Hope this helps

Matt