• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DIRECTV Plans Monthly Fee for HDTV!

Started by Gregg Lengling, Tuesday Apr 29, 2003, 01:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

By Phillip Swann

EXCLUSIVE!

TVPredictions.com has learned that DIRECTV is planning to launch an HDTV channel package
  that would cost approximately $10 a month. The package would include ESPN HD, HDNet and
  HDNet Movies, and The Discovery HD Theater channel.

There's no timetable for the launch because some details still have to be worked out. But
  several sources tell TVPredictions.com that it's "very likely" that the package will be offered
  in the coming weeks.

Robert Mercer, a DIRECTV spokesman, confirmed late Thursday (April 24) that the satcaster
  is considering launching a monthly package of HD channels.

The monthly fee would be big news because non-premium HDTV channels -- until now -- have
  been available for free on DIRECTV. If DIRECTV begins offering a group of HDTV channels as a
  premium package, it could set a standard for both the satellite and cable TV industries. Some
  cable operators, such as Charter and Cox, have been testing monthly HD program fees. Charter,
  in fact, offers HDNet, HDNet Movies and Discovery HD Theater as a HD bundle for $9.99 a month.

Phillip Swann, president of TVPredictions.com, forecast last month that DIRECTV would soon
  charge for HD content to appease new owner Rupert Murdoch, who is not a fan of free HD.

Stay tuned for updates on this breaking story; click here to read today's news; and don't
  miss our next exclusive story! Subscribe NOW to 'Swanni Sez,' the TV Predictions newsletter!
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Matt Heebner

Not too bad...I pay $12/mo for all the HBO's and the only one I ever watch is the HBO-HD. If they threw in HBO-HD or SHOW-HD, then it would be a very good deal !

Matt

sdn10s

If that's what it takes to get more channels added, so be it. I'll just drop Starz and switch to the HD package.

kjnorman

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregg Lengling
...that DIRECTV would soon  charge for HD content to appease new owner Rupert Murdoch, who is not a fan of free HD

I did not think that Murdock was a fan of anything that was free.. :rolleyes:

Steve Hrin

QuoteOriginally posted by kjnorman
I did not think that Murdock was a fan of anything that was free.. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I think this would be a very bad precedent to set.  TWC and others will more then likely follow suit and it is wrong to charge extra for something that the FCC has mandated take place. :mad: :mad:

Matt Heebner

Actually the FCC has not mandated a thing regarding high definition. They have only mandated that broadcast stations transmit digitally by 2006. Digital does not mean HD.
Also stations like ESPN, Lifetime, etc are not broadcast stations, just stations offering their broadcasts to carrierslike cable co.'s and satellite co's and therefore not required to even change over to a digital standard...but if they are picked up by a local station for example, the local station would have to re-transmit it as digital.

The FCC did however give the digital spectrum to the broadcasters in the hope and promise of HD. If  enough broadcast stations abuse this, (multi-casting, etc)then maybe the FCC will have to step in again, but nothing is certain about that.

Matt

jlegge

QuoteHonestly, I think this would be a very bad precedent to set. TWC and others will more then likely follow suit and it is wrong to charge extra for something that the FCC has mandated take place.

You mean like cable and sattelite already? Here are mediums that people are willing to pay for, will pay for and have been paying for. A veritable cash cow if you will.

I agree with it. If you can give me a larger selection of HD programming and save me the cost of all the other crap that has been coming with it (whatever package you amy subscribe to), where do I sign? If I could subscribe to nothing but local channels and HD channels I would do so.

Tell you what, I'll pay $.50 + tax for each channel I choose above and beyond the above mentioned channels. That way you'd at least get History Channel, TLC, and Discovery (non-HD) out of me as well.

sp44again

They can do this if they frickin launch ESPN-HD!

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Hrin
Honestly, I think this would be a very bad precedent to set.  TWC and others will more then likely follow suit and it is wrong to charge extra for something that the FCC has mandated take place. :mad: :mad:
The FCC mandated Hi-def TV?  I thought it mandating the end of analog TV transmissions...

Steve Hrin

QuoteOriginally posted by mhz40
The FCC mandated Hi-def TV?  I thought it mandating the end of analog TV transmissions...

Yes that is essentially what the fcc mandated.  By mandating the end to analog they have given us no choice but to go with HD.:cool:

The Law

In My Humble Opinion....

Another way to thwart the growth of HD.  People seem to forget that the people with HD are either technophiles (mild or otherwise) and/or people with the money to by the equipment.

Watching sitcoms in HD (for free) gets stale after a while.  Sure, it's cool to watch Leno in HD for a couple of times until you realise "eh, I've seen it, now back to bed" as one normally did.

The Discovery, The Sports...these are the things that HD truly benefits from (oh, and the movies).  Not that the carriers should give away there stuff for free, mind you, but maybe hey should offer more like this...if you pay to get Discovery, you should get Discovery HD.  If you pay for ESPN, you should get ESPN HD - like for like, I guess.

The best solution would be to pay for the stuff I watch, I'spose.

Now, one final, semi-related opionion on sports programming....when you are watching it in HD, notice that they are still filming it as though it were 4:3 - meaning, w/widescreen on basketball games, they are still zooming into the middle zone bit area in front of the hoop (I don't watch bball - but I checked out the HD NBA this week).  I still could not see the offense on a fast break since he was zoomed in too much.  Same w/NFL games - use the power of the widescreen..let's see the secondary.  Also, notice the camera angle on NASCAR - you know, the one that sits on the wall at driver height that looks down the wall!...you see a lot of wall....zoom back a bit and give us more of the action.

I understand that they are filming to send out to the 4:3 crowd as well, but, hey...if they want to grow HD....

agian, IMHO "I'm Just Sayin'...."

ps....kudos to TW for doing things like pinning up an HD channel for those basketball matches and the Masters.  Though neither sport interests me, I did check them out for the HD value - even w/the above "comment" on camera angle/zoom, still better than SD.

Greg Oman

Well, I'd say if they want to package HD and charge extra, it better be 100% HD.  Anything else would be misleading advertising in my opinion.  This includes commercials.

You ready to commit to that Rupert?

mcq

I am having mixed feelings about this purchase. I can only dish out sooooo much. (No pun intended)