• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Which To Buy? Ws-65711 Or Ws-65611?

Started by Dan, Friday Feb 28, 2003, 09:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

The room the set will go in can be very bright due to the large amount of windows. I am concerned about the lack of the Diamond Shield on the 65611 because of the brightness in the room and the 2yr old and 1yr old I have running around possibly damaging the screen on the 65611. There is a significant price difference between the 611 and 711. I ask the members if they feel it is worth it. Is the PQ worth paying up for the 711 and how easily can the screen be damaged by kids on the 611.

The differences I see are as follows:

611--Lack of Anti-Glare diamond Shield

other than the AG shield are there any other differences.

Thanks

Dan

gparris

As I wrote in another area of these forums since I could not locate this response from you, I indicated that the WS-65511 gave me problems in the past 3 weeks. I suggested you buy either a 611 or 711 . The 611 is virtually the same as 511 but has a better focusing beam for corner-to-corner imaging. The 711 adds the better optics for picture enhancement in addition to the 611, encompasing the new "anti-glare" shield and a somewhat classier exterior cabinet.  My suggestion to you is to go to a store and watch both 65511,  65611 and/or 65711 with the same connections and program, assume the setups are correct and make the call. If I had the budget to buy the 65711 at $5499 I would have. With the problems I had with the 511, I should have waited or gone to a different vendor.
I hope this clears up your questions.

Dan

See my post titled "set the record straight--DVI vs. Firewire. Click on the link in my reply to greg. I would like to get your thoughts.

Dan

gparris

DVI has a copy protection protocol with a special plug that connects only one-way to the source with uncompressed data flow. It is supposed to be unsurpassed in picture quality, but that is not necessarily true. Yes, when you spill it all without any compression, you get more data to fill the screen, but is it all necessary? No. The uncompressed DVI connection will be the equivalent of picture processing as Firewire in the needs of the display for HD-both are the same and the unnecessary data the DVI gives you is just ignored in processing. Firewire gives you the ability to get just as good a picture as DVI-but with  more value. DVI will get you on-screen graphics without MPEG-2 processing involved as with Firewire, but you CANNOT record from a DVI source because it is uncompressed unlike FIREWIRE.  In addition, Firewire has a TWO-way data transfer allowing for simple component to component connections without all the wires in conventional picture/sound transfer, thereby eliminating the tangle of wires behind most home theater systems. Firewire allows recording of programs UNLIKE DVI. You understand that DVI is to protect Hollywoods paranoid idea we will all copy HD programming and sell it to our friends...like they did when they tried to kill VCRS!  Firewire answers their fears by allowing a 5C copy protection algorithm to be inserted if a copy once - copy always or copy never is inserted into program material so transmitted....Understand now?

DVI stinks...unless you are Hollywood. You can't record from it-it is one-way- and has good graphics (big deal).
FireWire is easy-connect- goes both ways for data movement and allows for recording, yet gives you excellent picture just like DVI, only no headaches.

IF you buy any HD set or product soon, make sure it has Firewire  connections included to keep your set from becoming obsolete.
IF it does have DVI, its OK, just remember why its there. Not for YOUR benefit!