• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Home Improvement Show HDTV

Started by gparris, Saturday Feb 08, 2003, 08:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gparris

Today I visited the Milwaukee Home Improvement show in West Allis. What I found out was there were a surprising number of "Home Theater" areas worked in with the cabinet makers and all. For some of the "booths" there were at least one if not three  HDTVs setup and in pretty-good working order for the looking. Plasmas stole the show and mostly had HDNET running, or a progressive-scan movie.
I think the idea was that "Home Theater" is a  good - "Home Improvement". This is the most HDTV I have seen for exhibitors in past years and the Home Improvement show was in the Exposition center and it felt better organized and laidout than ever before.
The problem was that no one in the exhibits displayed the TV's as HDTVs, and if I wasn't so "enlightened", I would never known. Some of the exhibitors looked bored and almost-asleep-and I visited from 10AM to 1PM!!!
The furnace, brick deck and hot tub people had the most enthusiasm: I wanted to buy THEIR product and I am not even in the market!
So there were more out there ( missing: American & Flanners, or at least I could not find them) and more people got to see HDTV, but did they KNOW what they were seeing?  
Only one booth, "Colins All Digital", with a Directv tent displayed over it, offered some knowledge and help, but they didn't even know that the All Star Game was free on channel 198  and 503 (TWC) this weekend- a killer app!
Get with the (HDTV)  game Milwaukee....! What happened?

Tom Snyder

I was there as well, and while most of the Home Theatre guys were pretty knowledgable, there was one booth that had a guy spewing some of the most unbelievable errors to a potential customer... "cable has some digital content, but no local channels yet."

Sheesh!
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org