• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

A little Quiz... A Suprising answer

Started by Tom Snyder, Tuesday Jan 28, 2003, 07:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Snyder

Guess who wrote the following article:

THE HIGH-DEF BOWL

There's no handle on how many viewers watched Sunday's game in the new format. Nielsen has yet to start tracking the numbers of viewers watching high-definition broadcasts such as ABC's Super Bowl broadcast.

But the early adopters who watched Sunday's game saw one of the best sales tools for TV's next big thing.

From beads of sweat glistening on Warren Sapp's forehead to blades of grass being stomped on at Qualcomm Park, football has never before been as intimate a viewing experience.

There are still the technical kinks that will be worked out by the time large numbers of viewers are watching high-definition television. ABC and the other networks broadcasting some of their programs in high-def are still testing the technology and learning how to use it effectively.

But the overall broadcast was stunning, especially the sprinkling of high-def ads that were aired in the format with booming CD-quality sound.

Here's a bet that loads of folks who saw the game on HDTV at a party this year are already planning for their own sets by the time next season rolls around.

After watching AFC playoffs on CBS and the Super Bowl on ABC, there is an issue that's likely to be dealt with before high-def becomes a more usual way of watching TV sports.

In games airing in late afternoon, with a mix of bright sun and deep shadow, the high-def picture seems more washed out in sunny areas than in a traditional TV image.

By the time the sun is gone and the stadium lights take over, the picture is uniformly rich and lifelike, with textures unimaginable on an old-fashioned television.

Again, by the time HDTV moves beyond the margins to the mainstream, this won't be a factor for viewers.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Gregg Lengling

Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Tom Snyder

With this objective and accurate piece Mr. Cuprisin earns my respect...  Without sounding like a cheerleader for HDTV he points out the plusses and the minuses, and refrains from terms like "handful."  

The number I heard in another article was that of the 130 Million who watched the game, 1 million saw in HDTV. Which makes his "margins to mainstream" reference fair.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

mcq

That sunny/cloudy contrast is exactly the problem you face when you are actually at a game.  At Camp Randall, you can't wait for the sun to dip behind the stadium. Is this Tim's way of saying that watching it on HD is almost like being there!?

gyoung

QuoteThat sunny/cloudy contrast is exactly the problem you face when you are actually at a game. At Camp Randall, you can't wait for the sun to dip behind the stadium. Is this Tim's way of saying that watching it on HD is almost like being there!?
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read Tim's article.  It is like being there.  You can't wait for the sun to dip behind the stadium because of the glare.  I guess I'll have to wear my sunglasses in the house to watch the HD games, just like I would if I were there! :p