• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Samsung Debuts First 1080i/720p DVD Player With DVI Output For HDTV Sets

Started by Gregg Lengling, Thursday Jan 30, 2003, 01:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

Samsung Electronics America, Inc., an established innovator in the DVD category, announced the introduction of the first 1080i/720p DVD player, the DVD-HD931. The DVD-HD931 uses a completely digital process to deliver a 1080i/720p signal, making it ideal for consumers wanting to get the most out of their HD displays. The DVD-HD931 is the first DVD player to feature a DVI output so that it can deliver uncompressed digital video. The model has a host of advanced features such as Samsung's DNIe™ (Digital Natural Image engine) and Faroudja's DCDi™ video processing technology for enhanced video performance. It will also be Samsung's first product to support DVD-Audio in the U.S. The DVD-HD931 is a recipient of a CES Innovations 2003 Design and Engineering Showcase honoree award.

"The DVD-HD931 is the perfect solution for someone who has already invested in a HD Display or is considering making the investment and wants to get the most out of what DVD has to offer," commented J.R. deSouza, Marketing Manager of Digital Video, Samsung Electronics America. "Samsung has taken a strong position in the DVD category and we plan to maintain that level of commitment with the introduction of innovative new models that meet a broad array of consumer needs. The DVD-HD931 offers unprecedented DVD video and audio enjoyment."

Currently, consumers who have upgraded their home theatres with HDTVs do not have an abundance of high-definition programming available. The DVD-HD931 offers an alternate solution by upconverting a DVD's native resolution (480p) to output high-definition formats (720p/1080i). The most impressive attribute of this upconverting process is that it takes place completely in the digital domain, which eliminates data loss and other artifacts associated with analog convergence. As a result, the process opens up a vast library of quality viewing for consumers who want to watch digitally enhanced movies on their HDTV monitors and enjoy the highest quality video available on the DVD market.

The DVD-HD931 includes Samsung's first-ever digital processing algorithm--DNIe--for enhanced contrast and white tone, increased detail, and noise reduction. It also features Directional Correlational Deinterlacing™ (DCDi) technology by Faroudja. DCDi eliminates the jagged edges that appear when standard interlaced video is viewed on progressive-scan displays for a smooth and natural picture. The DVD-HD931 is also Samsung's first U.S. product to support DVD-Audio.

An elegantly designed gold/brass color chassis with a half-mirror front panel rounds out this component, which will be available in June 2003 for an MSRP of $349.

For more information about Samsung Electronics America, Inc., visit //www.samsungusa.com.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

jlegge

HAHA..... and I know of only one TV set with 2 DVI (one for HD, one for DVD) inputs on the market right now.....

And sheesh... now I have to get a receiver with DVI switching.... didn't we just go through this a couple of years ago with component video?!?!?!?

Matt Heebner

Well, a couple of things about this...
Sounds good except that most TV's don't do DVI, and I personally am trying to hold out against DVI basically because it's the format coupled with a whacked copy-protection scheme Hollywood is trying to screw the consumer with. The more consumers purchase DVI only components, the more power Hollywood has over OUR fair use rights.
I will have to wait and see how a $350 player does at scaling from 480p to 720p/1080i. I know Faroudja sells stand alone scalers STARTING at about the $8000 price range...not to say it won't do an adequate job just....but I will have to pass judgement after some reviews and torture tests.

Chances are I will end up waiting for  "blue-ray" HD-DVD that puts out true HD...not a upconvert, unless it does a fantastic job. (Won't really matter though as my Mits only supports firewire)

Matt

gparris

I have a Faroudja DVD player system with DVD-Audio in a megachanger system (all 3 hooked up in a massive 1200 CD/DVD array) and it rocks!  
The edges are gone, the picture clean and clear just like HD. The only problem I have with it is comparing a HBO-HD movie on the HD input-to the same movie playing on disc! Side by side comparisons are minimal at best.
This is a great technology.
The manufacturer of this new product discussed is offering what I HAVE HAD for some time-only with no DVI input.
NOTE: DVD-Audio is in comparison to CD what HDTV is to analog TWC! If you haven't bought a progessive-scan DVD player yet, cough up the extra few bucks for one with DVD audio capability.
If HD DVD ever comes out-I will do another side by side comparison, but until then....:)

Matt Heebner

Don't get me wrong, I am a proud owner Panny RP-56 and love my progressive scan player...but it's a big difference between progressive scanning a 480i frame to 480p and scaling from 480 to 720/1080i. Like I stated before, scalers are big ticket items with even bigger price tags. I am very curious as to the quality of scaling of a sub-$400 player.

Matt