• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

More HD Channels Coming to Dish and DIRECTV

Started by Gregg Lengling, Wednesday Jan 29, 2003, 12:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

The rumor at CES was that Dish Network was in negotiation to acquire the 24 hour HDTV network HDNet to add to its roster of HDTV channels available in HDTV. HDNet currently broadcasts live sporting events, feature films, concerts and documentary programming in 1080i HDTV on DIRECTV. Marc Cuban, HDNet's founder, expressed interest in inking a deal with Dish Network but said the ball was in Dish Network's court. Dish Network didn't return calls asking for comment.

More HD buzz from CES has the 24 hour Discovery HD channel coming to DIRECTV in coming months. Discovery HD representatives at their CES booth said that they are in negotiations but no deal was in place yet.
Since a merger between the two biggest satellite TV networks is seemingly stalled right now, both networks seem to be looking to acquire all of their competitors HDTV channels. Consumers who are not blessed with many (or any) terrestrial HDTV channels are thrilled to see progress in the "there's nothing on in HDTV" dilemma.

As reported last week in AudioRevolution.com, ESPN will be coming to HDTV but a broadcast network deal has yet to be announced. Don't be surprised to see it on both networks.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

StarvingForHDTV

It sounds like the satellite providers are making moves to get my money.  I would probably subscribe if I could get Discovery HD, HDNET, and ESPN HD from one provider.  Until then, I'm sticking with OTA HD only.

Thanks for the news flash.

Starving