• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

JS online Cuprisin

Started by Gregg Lengling, Saturday Jan 18, 2003, 06:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

http://www.jsonline.com/enter/tvradio/jan03/111433.asp

The above link is for todays column by Tim and I find it humorous that he states "Channel 58's digital signal, which includes some high-definition programming".  This is a bit of a slight to CBS as they have the largest line-up of HDTV programming of any of the Big Networks.  In fact the majority of their Prime Time is HD.  Tim you need to watch what is there before you write about it...or at least do some research and see what programs are available.  Now if you were writing about Fox's line-up which is coming in February to cable you'd be embellishing in the opposite direction, unless you consider 480p to be HD.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Tom Snyder

Some?  Here's the handful of experimental programs CBS does in HD... It's a shame that these are the ones that hardly anyone watches... (number is their nielsen rating)

The Young And The Restless
The King Of Queens
Yes, Dear (20)
Everybody Loves Raymond (6)
Still Standing (18)
CSI Miami (8)
JAG (15)
The Guardian
Judging Amy (19)
CSI (1)
Without A Trace (13)
Presidio Med
Hack
Queens Supreme
Touched by an Angel
The District
The Agency
NFL Football Playoff Games
CBS Sunday Night Movie

In addtion to saying that that virtually their ENTIRE prime time lineup is broadcast in HD, he alose could have pointed out that it it includes the most watched show in all of of TV, and 8 of the top 20... but then that would be accurate and objective.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

ReesR

To be perfectly fair, Tim did say:

"It joins three other local broadcasters - WTMJ-TV (Channel 4), WMVS-TV (Channel 10) and WISN-TV (Channel 12) - that are already offering some high-definition programming on Time Warner's Channels 504, 510 and 512, respectively."

Apparently if everyone's schedule isn't all in HD then it qualifies merely for the some catagory.  Go figure.

borghe

This comes ans no surprise to me. Tim for the forseeable future will always hold some grudge against HD. I don't understand it but have just come to expect it. In my conversations with him it seems he feels his priority is to let people know how obnoxious and much of a hassle HDTV can be. He will say a good thing per article, but I think mostly that is to appease this group or like minded (for whatever reason). Maybe it's to cut down on the mail he'll receive if he only says nasty things.

I didn't even bother reading the article. His articles haven't been worth my time since he "suffered" through the first HD playoff game.

Todd Wiedemann

Kinda OT, but typical for Mr. C, from today's column:
Quote... a Spanish version airing on the Secondary Audio Program available on newer TVs.
Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't SAP been around for at least 10 years ? Is Mr. C in a different space/time continuum ?

Gregg Lengling

My daughter still has my old 27" Philips that I bought in 1985, it has SAP in (plus S-video).
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

Todd Wiedemann

Indeed. That's what I remembered, too.

If he thinks that SAP is 'new' technology, it gives a foundation to the comments about HDTV being 'experimental.'

... he must still watch kinescopes from the DuMont network. That, of course, is the proven technology.

Gregg Lengling

No he traded in his Flying Spot receiver.
;)
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

borghe

The first LXI branded Sears VCR my family got back in 1988 had SAP. I believe at the time it cost about $199, and if I remember that was a cheapie for a two head hi-fi VCR.

Tom Snyder

This from our own mptv.org:

In June of 1985,  Channel 10 became the first television station in Wisconsin to experiment with multi-channel television sound (MTS). Multi-channel television sound makes it possible to air three audio channels during a television broadcast. Two of these channel are normally used for stereo sound, the other for the separate audio program (SAP).
Tom Snyder

Gregg Lengling

And at that time they were broadcasting radio Station KEC60 on the Second Audio Channel...in case you don't know KEC60 is the National Weather Service transmitting from Delafield, Wisconsin at 162.40 MHz
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

mcq

I don't know anyone who actually uses SAP, so I wonder if that qualifies as a non-technology.  BTW I had SAP in August of 1985 on a Fischer 4-Head Stereo VCR... bought it for Miami Vice (not SAP)

Tom Snyder

Certain NFL games are broadcast with Spanish commentators on the SAP channel...
Tom Snyder

mcq

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Snyder
Certain NFL games are broadcast with Spanish commentators on the SAP channel...
I did not know this.... And do you listen to the SAP side???

Tom Snyder

Quotedo you listen to the SAP side???

Sí. Soy el que esta' del puñado de adopters tempranos de esa nueva lengua experimental.
Tom Snyder